Thread: % in Japan

Default % in Japan

Hi All, not sure if that's already been discussed but are there any blood alcohol levels here and if so, what are the limits?

Yes I know it's more than stupid to drink and ride a bike... but I got caught 2 days ago after a glas of wine at a nice french restaurant in Ebisu and got away with only a warning. Lucky me!

Dudes, that's not much fun to sit in that bus and do the alcohol test. At least they gave me some water to rinse before blowing into that bag.

I had 0.07 something (mg/l?)... the cops were actually pretty nice and playing the gaijin card only works until things get a little more serious. Speaking some Japanese helped in the end I guess, and playing by their rules.

I even admitted to that glas of wine (2 actually..) before I did the test. I thought it works in Japan and it did. Confess and apologize!

Anyway, what are the hard rules here? Anybody any numbers at hand?

Cheers, Ingo

no measurable amount is legal after the latest revision of the law from what i understand.

that sounds pretty harsh, but if you consider how narrow and crowded with bicycles and pedestrians the streets are, it's kind of understandable. there is much less margain for error on japanese roads than in the US for example.

eric

If you live on one of the military installations here in japan, it's .05% BAC. Everywhere else in Japan it's the equalivlant of .03% BAC. But the JNP measure in PPM, not BAC. This ammounts to about one drink in a 2hr window.

Plus with our public transportation here, there is NO excuse for drinking and driving.
    -Rich

I was told 0.00% or 0% by Japanese police last time I enquired.

Can someone confirm it is 0.03% or 0%?

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

When I renewed my license late last year, printed in the official handbook they give to everyone was a limit of 0.15 mg/l, but Im yet to understand what that means in "numbers of drink/s" value.... anyone have any ideas?

Shady..
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../

Quote Originally Posted by shady
    When I renewed my license late last year, printed in the official handbook they give to everyone was a limit of 0.15 mg/l, but Im yet to understand what that means in "numbers of drink/s" value.... anyone have any ideas?

Shady..
    = ~.03BAC

Or one drink.
    -Rich

DWDI on base .03
    DUI on base .05
    DWI on base .1

DUI off base .15 mg
    DWI off base .40 mg

These are the numbers taught on base in accordance with Japanese Law. The military created a new DWDI (Driving While Drinking Indicated) in order to be able to match the off base standard of .15mg. One 12 oz beer, one glass of wine or one mixed drink will cause you to hit the .15 mg (.03BAC) limit off or on base.

Hope this helps,

Later,
    Scott
    Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong, but so far it might as well be!

All these ideas of a"1 drink" or "two drink" limit are nonsense!
    There are way too many variables involved. Time of consumption, food intake, body size, body composition, weather, type of beverage, amount of physical activity after consumption will all make a difference to the alcohol content in your blood.
    Whatever, .15mg is a very low standard and you wouldn`t need to drink much to go over. You wouldn`t be feeling intoxicated at all!!

A zero level is not plausable as many food products contain traces of alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce etc so haveing a beer free sushi lunch would make driving illegal.

Bottom line: If driving or riding stay off the pop!

So how much soy sauce do you have to drink to be drunk.............

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

nnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    So how much soy sauce do you have to drink to be drunk.............

Jav
    ....drinking soy sauce :shock: ...thats probably a good sign you're alreay drunk :razz:

Weather? really? pressure thing? humidity thing?
    You will dehydrate faster on a hot humid day so the alcohol will be more concentrated in your blood stream.

It will also taste better ;)

So how much soy sauce do you have to drink to be drunk..
    If your measure of drunkeness is having to run and stick your head in the toilet bowl, then not so much. A pint should do it.
    Strict muslims won`t use it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenbiker1
    All these ideas of a"1 drink" or "two drink" limit are nonsense!
    There are way too many variables involved. Time of consumption, food intake, body size, body composition, weather, type of beverage, amount of physical activity after consumption will all make a difference to the alcohol content in your blood.
    Whatever, .15mg is a very low standard and you wouldn`t need to drink much to go over. You wouldn`t be feeling intoxicated at all!!

A zero level is not plausable as many food products contain traces of alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce etc so haveing a beer free sushi lunch would make driving illegal.

Bottom line: If driving or riding stay off the pop!
    I realize this point is bordering on being politically incorrect, but it is a fact that for the most part Asian people's livers are less adapt at metabolizing alcohol then Caucasians', hence you often will see Japanese people go all red in the face after just one small drink. I believe this is one of the main reasons for the legal limit in Japan for example is lower than that in Western countries. Traffic in Manhattan is pretty hectic too, yet the drinking limit is not lower is it?
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

I realize this point is bordering on being politically incorrect, but it is a fact that for the most part Asian people's livers are less adapt at metabolizing alcohol then Caucasians', hence you often will see Japanese people go all red in the face after just one small drink.
    I believe its a stomach enzyme which is more likely to be lacking in Asians than Caucasians. Again I`m not sure of this but I thinkit makes them less likely to be pissed as they are unable to metabolize the alcohol. Instead they suffer from a kind of alergic reaction giving them the red face and desire to vomit :shock:
    Strangely it doesn`t deter them from repeating this process every weekend in Shinjuku! :roll: :roll:

I read, or heard somewhere that it stems from how back in ancient times, water was made potable. In Asia, water was boiled and tea added to give it a more palatable flavor. In Europe, fermentation was used to make liquids potable, in the forms of wine and beer. The hundreds of years of Europeans boozin it up has led the Euro's to better metabolize alcohol.