Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route 299 Iruma to Chino - Safe in winter?

Question Route 299 Iruma to Chino - Safe in winter?

Just a quick question, is the 299 between Chino and Iruma (Tokyo) a safe ride around this time of year, ice??? Cheers,
    Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing...

All depends on the weather.. some days its nice and dry up there other days it can be real bad... just be ready to do a U turn if the roads get bad...

The second half of 299, from Sakuho to Chino, already had some snow at the peak elevations when we rode it in early November. Temps for this week in Sakuho, which is located at quite a bit lower elevations, show a high of 1, low of -9. I sure wouldn't ride it!

Thanks for that... be prepared i guess. I am thinking about heading up there and staying near Nagano tomorrowm and then back to Chiba on Thursday.

Thanks TwinRider, just cancelled my plans to go based on your advice. I am planning on heading out tomorrow morning for a one night trip back Thursday evening to Chiba, do you have any suggestions where i could go (nice ride) and where I could stay? Cheers,

Try shimoda its at the bottom of izu.. take the west coast down from numazu
    the Ernest House is a good place to stay rooms are 8,000 yen

Its decided, I am going to Shimoda tomorrow and will be staying at the Ernest House, has good reviews. Thanks for the tips!

Izu is a great ride this time of year. And you could stay at the Ernest House right by Ohama beach in Shimoda. http://www.ernest-house.com/. South Cafe right near there has good food as well. http://www.southcafe.net/

I always stay away from the congested east coast. Instead I ride the following route: Toyo Turnpike> Izu Skyline> Nishi Izu Skyline> Rt. 411> Rt. 410> Rt. 136> Rt. 16> Rt.136> Ohama

An alternative route to get to Izu Skyline is to take the Tomei to Gotemba, then take Rt. 138>Hakone Skyline>Ashinoko Skyline> Izu Skyline.

Temps can be chilly around Hakone this time of year so I recommend caution around that area if you're there early morning or evening. And I recommend you grab a Touring Mapple atlas for Kanto if you don't have one yet.

Best to stay on the west coast road.. there might be ice up in the skylines and
    it will be bloody cold.

If you ask the old lady nice she will make a camp fire out side the hotel

Hey great advice, I really apreciate it guys! Do you mean the route 17 which leads onto 136? Ooohhh a camp fire would be perfect!!

Shuzenji, near both skylines but lower elevation, shows a low of 9 and high of 13 for Wednesday, so I reckon the Skylines will be fine. But as always, use good judgement and common sense. Don't ride them real early in the AM (I prefer after 10am this time of year) and stay out of the shadow areas where the sun doesn't warm up the road.
    http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/j...2/4102401.html

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Shuzenji, near Izu Skyline, shows a low of 9 and high of 13 for Wednesday, so I reckon the Skylines will be fine. But as always, use good judgement and common sense. Don't ride them real early in the AM (I prefer after 10am) and stay out of the shadow areas where the sun doesn't warm up the road.
    http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/j...2/4102401.html
    The weather in a town like Shuzenji can be totally different from the conditions way up in the mountains where the skyline roads run. There could be heavy fog (like we rode through back in July!) and strong wind, as well as way colder temps that leave ice patches on the roads.

I'd wait to see what the weather is like when you get closer to the skylines, and take the coast roads instead if conditions look dubious.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    The weather in a town like Shuzenji can be totally different from the conditions way up in the mountains where the skyline roads run. There could be heavy fog (like we rode through back in July!) and strong wind, as well as way colder temps that leave ice patches on the roads.

I'd wait to see what the weather is like when you get closer to the skylines, and take the coast roads instead if conditions look dubious.
    Yup. Like I said, start later in the AM and use good judgment and common sense. If any roads appears dodgy, take a different route.

Fwiw, Hakone is the coldest area, and if it's fogged in the Izu Skyline can also be accessed from the roads behind Atami, entering at Kurotake. It's generally warmer and clearer there. But again, exercise due caution, use good judgement, etc....

Route 136 on the west coast is a nice road...

I have been told by the wife I have to drop the kids off at school first so won't start out until about 10AM from Makuhari, so I thought i would go on the highway all the way to Numazu (i hate riding on the highway), so that I can get to Numazu before 1PM (3 hours should be enough time right via highway?). Then along route 17 then on to 136 through to Shimoda. I just booked a room. I would have prefered going via the Toyo Turnpike, but might have to wait until next time. Its a great feeling the night before an adventure!

That route gives you nice ocean views (although the Numazu city part sucks). But you won't get a whole lot of high quality sweepers till southwestern Izu past Matsuzaki.

Depending on the weather you could also hop on the Ashinoko Skyline from Gotemba and enjoy really nice views of Fuji all the way down that skyline and Izu skyline. A lot more twisties that way and pretty quick as well because there's little traffic on weekdays.

Yer, thinking about it that sounds like more fun and since I won't get there until about 1PM the road should be fine at this time of year. Would you go from Gotemba or via Odawara and the Toyo Turnpike?

From Gotemba has the better scenery for sure but both are nice. That said, go for the coastal roads if it turns out to be really cold/foggy in the mountains.

Here's a map of the access from Gotemba. http://2clip.jp/200505_izu/hakone-skyline/

Arrived safely at Earnest House. Awesome ride, I went via Gotamba which was a great choice. Shimoda is very nice, my first time here and I am blown away. Thanks for giving such good advice and a really wonderful ride!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRider View Post
    Arrived safely at Earnest House. Awesome ride, I went via Gotamba which was a great choice. Shimoda is very nice, my first time here and I am blown away. Thanks for giving such good advice and a really wonderful ride!
    Cool, glad the advice helped and you had a great ride. Must be fun being down there right now!!