Thread: What coolant?

Default What coolant?

Another noob question, sorry. What sort of coolant should I use for a Yamaha Vino XC50? Is home centre car coolant OK?

yes.
    Drinking drivers--
    Nothing worse
    They put
    The quart
    Before the hearse
    Burma-Shave

Quote Originally Posted by rasbro View Post
    yes.
    many thanks

Another question. The coolant I bought is pretty much standard it seems, but red in colour. The coolant already in the bike is green. I don't want to mix the two, and the manual I have doesn't give me the instuctions how to change the coolant. It just tells me to have a dealer do it, but I'd rather do it myself. Does anyone have any advice for me?

OK, found out. My wife phoned a local bike shop to see if they had a recommended Yamaha coolant which would be safe to top it up. The guy in the shop (Ito-KT in Seto) said that it's not necessary to change the coolant or to buy new coolant, but to top it up with either distilled water or tap water which has been left out in a container overnight. God only knows what happens to the tap water when left out overnight. (Answers on a postcard, if anyone knows or gives a toss).

Apparently the water in the original coolant mix evaporates over time, leaving the coolant in a more concentrated state. All that needs to be done is to dilute it back to the appropriate level with distilled water. Job done.

Good to see you got an answer....

Fwiw, a google search made it clear that red and green coolant do differ so it's best to stick with the same color.

Coolant generally, does not need changing, as they
    indicated. Engine oil, brake fluids are the main ones.
    On sportsbikes, the front fork oil about once every
    5 years or so.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I've had mechanics say it's good to flush the cooling system every so often to prevent rust from building up. My TDM owner's manual calls for doing it every three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I've had mechanics say it's good to flush the cooling system every so often to prevent rust from building up. My TDM owner's manual calls for doing it every three years.
    I'd be quite happy to do this, but I don't have a manual and also I intend to sell this scooter in the very near future, so I'm not about to bother getting one.

There's a Haynes manual dedicated to automatic transmission scooters from 50cc to 250cc, covering Hondas. That would have been nice to have, but, as I said, it's not much good to me now.

I can tidy the rest of the bike up according to the owner's manual and that should do the trick. The bike's pretty spotless to be honest, with just 5.5k and it has been serviced three times already by Yamaha dealers.

It'll be up on Yahoo soon enough.

I had my wife contact the dealer to find out about the coolant issue, i.e. if I needed to replace the coolant or just top it up, and with what to top it up. According to the dealer, the XC50 is filled with a 50% coolant, 50% distilled water (蒸留水, pron. jouryusui) mix and when it goes down it's because the distilled water evaporates and, therefore, it should be topped up with distilled water. He told us that distilled water can be bought almost anywhere and mentioned Autobacs specifically. We went there and they told us they didn't have it. We tried a local home centre and they didn't have it either. According to Wikipedia it is often sold in supermarkets in the USA for drinking, but we can't find it here just yet. The dealer also said that we could simply take tap water and leave it out overnight and that would do it, but we're not so sure.

For those who don't know (I didn't until I wikied it) distilled water is made by boiling water and recondensing the steam, a process which takes most, if not all of the chemicals from the water which can be corrosive to engines. Japan tap water is soft water and, therefore, is low in chemical content, so maybe the dealer reckons that the water just wouldn't do much damage to the engine. Anyway, I want to find distilled water to use, rather than tap water. If and when I find it, I'll tell you where I got it. I've a sneaky feeling that I might just find it in Jusco.

Tap water will be ok.

Almost all hardware stores carry it in their battery section, that and electrolyte.

But Japanese tap water should be fine.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Thanks for that. I'll just put tap water into it in the morning before I head off to the riding school.

If you ever really want distilled water, they have it at every drugstore in the country. Not that you need it for this, mind.