Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Luggage For FXSTB

Default Hard Luggage For FXSTB

I am looking to install some hard bags on my FXSTB. At one point was considering changing over to a
    touring model cruiser, but after riding Twinriders bike, I prefer the more nimble feeling of the FXSTB.

Found these on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hard-...Q5fAccessories

They seem about half the price of a second hand set of RK unit.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

JAV, If I'm not mistaken, HD makes Hard Bags specifically for your bike. Grant it, they will not have the same capacity that a set of Touring Bags will have but they also won't detract from the lines of your bike (if that even matters to you).

The Touring Line has the best ground clearance of all factory HD's (with the exception of the new XR). Given time in the saddle I think you will find yourself being able to throw one around as good as you can your FX. I've talked about getting something sportier to keep up with my friends on Sport Bikes. I've never had any trouble keeping up with any HD riders with my RK or my E-Glide.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    JAV, If I'm not mistaken, HD makes Hard Bags specifically for your bike. Grant it, they will not have the same capacity that a set of Touring Bags will have but they also won't detract from the lines of your bike (if that even matters to you).

The Touring Line has the best ground clearance of all factory HD's (with the exception of the new XR). Given time in the saddle I think you will find yourself being able to throw one around as good as you can your FX. I've talked about getting something sportier to keep up with my friends on Sport Bikes. I've never had any trouble keeping up with any HD riders with my RK or my E-Glide.
    Twinrider pointed that out to me before. But, I don't like the look of the Softail OEM bags.
    I don't really want to change my bike ( like it more than I do the touring models ) just want to
    add some solid bags for photo touring. So looking to modify my Softail rather than change bikes.
    Besides I would much rather add a Procharger and some engine mods than loose 10M changing
    bikes. Just installed a 6 pot up front and a PM 4 pot on the rear. So it should stop pretty well (
    not tested them yet ).
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

A 4 pot on the rear? That sounds pretty strong for a rear brake... be careful you don't lock it up!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    A 4 pot on the rear? That sounds pretty strong for a rear brake... be careful you don't lock it up!
    On the Harley because of the weight bias, the rear does a lot of the braking.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    The Touring Line has the best ground clearance of all factory HD's (with the exception of the new XR). Given time in the saddle I think you will find yourself being able to throw one around as good as you can your FX.
    I agree with that. Besides the "new bike" factor, when Jav rode my bike it had a squared off rear tire on it.

That said, some serious upgrades can be bought for the same cost as buying a new FLH... but he could buy a used FLH!
    Last edited by Twinrider; 18-02-10 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I am looking to install some hard bags on my FXSTB. At one point was considering changing over to a
    touring model cruiser, but after riding Twinriders bike, I prefer the more nimble feeling of the FXSTB.

Found these on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hard-...Q5fAccessories

They seem about half the price of a second hand set of RK unit.
    Those certainly look good and are impressively strong in the video dem. And you can't beat the price if they are quality products.

Some pics of an '05 FXSTB with a set of touring bags installed. I think they look good from the sides but a bit too much of a gap from the back, maybe a wider tire and fender would fix that.

Last edited by Twinrider; 18-02-10 at 06:40 PM.

Damn, that looks crap............hmm. Exactly what I needed, to see them on a bike before I put any money down.
    Time to think about selling the FXSTB...................

Another alternative is............. HardStreet bags

Sort of similar to the OEM bags I guess........

Or the Tsukaya bags

Or Harley bags

However these look pretty good on this softail

And the seem to mount in closer. Maybe the bracket system....

Or maybe just one of these............

However these look pretty good on this softail
    And the seem to mount in closer. Maybe the bracket system....
    They look good because the Heritage is essentially a touring bike with a softail frame. Out of the box there's about a 50 pound weight differential from the Heritage and the Road King as opposed to about a 120 pound difference between the Night Train and the RK.

The Heritage might be a nice compromise if you don't want to go all out touring model. They are already designed to quickly remove the bags to lighten the bike when you need it and you can pack pretty much the same amount of stuff into those leather bags as you can the hard bags.

After owning both a Road King and a Fat Boy (essentially a stripped down Heritage) I can tell you that one handles just as good as the other. Ground clearance is exactly the same for all four bikes.

Thanks for the informative input. I am using this thread to mull ideas.

I think I will review the softail options as I am too lazy to try to sell my softail at this point in time.
    I did notice that the bike in Twinriders post is using Ghost brackets ( if that is what they are called )
    which cause the bags to stick out a bit further than usual. I have them on my softail, with leather
    saddle bags at the moment.

I was going to say the same thing about the Heritage essentially looking like a touring bike, which is why the FLH bags seem to fit better.

Should you decide to add sidebags....
    IMO I think the HD Softail hard bags look pretty good as they match the bike's lines, they lock, they're waterproof and probably slim so lane-splitting would be easy. They would look sharp color-matched to your bike. That's what I'd go for, buying them from Zanotti's for the discount.

I've heard mixed things about Tsukayu's quality, although they do look nice.

HD also sells leather bags that look like they buckle but really just have a quick release fastener behind the buckle, or the velcro fasteners like the ones you posted. And locks are available: http://inertiawrx.com/

Or maybe just one of these............

Jav I think thats your answer right there. If you like the bike keep it and buy the saddle bags/luggage to suit at whatever cost you can swallow.

I have still stuck with my BMW Motorrad tail pack on my bike, although I have to say more appropriate luggage beckons having followed this thread.
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

Pic of the Harley bags color-matched to your '05. Very nice imo and just $1164 through Zanotti in vivid black.

Read about 'em here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/dwp/g...bmLocale=en_US
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90225_00DH_L_ac35.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Pic of the Harley bags color-matched to your '05. Very nice imo and just $1164 through Zanotti in vivid black.
    The only thing I don't like about any of the hard bag options is the relocation of the turn signals. They look like hell with the bags removed. I'd recommend a set of profile aux lights that you mount directly to the aft most side sections of the fender itself. Most Japanese HD riders do this in lieu of the stock signals anyway regardless if they have bags or not.

$1160 plus mounting kits and liners I think. Maybe looking at $1400 with everything. Thanks for posting the pic, though, seeing the Harley bags in black does help.

But I think I will go with the Tsukaya bags and change my rear fender to one similar to the Fat Boys, trim it to same level as the bottom of the bags to dress
    the rear of the bike a bit. Don't really like the softail fender with any sort of bags. I also like twin rear pipes (true duals) in black. So might look at doing that.