Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikejin magazine's top 16 motorcycle roads in Japan

Default Bikejin magazine's top 16 motorcycle roads in Japan

The April issue of Bikejin ranked their top 16 motorcycle roads in Japan. Here they are, translated by yours truly:

13. (tie) Zaou Ecoline
    13. (tie) Mikata Goko Rainbow Line
    13. (tie) Tatsudomari Line
    13. (tie) Hachimantai Aspite Line
    12. Choukai Blue Line
    11. Tsunoshima Big Bridge
    10. Chirihama Nagisa Driveway
    9. Aso Panorama Line
    8. Kouya Ryuujin Skyline
    8. (tie) Shimanami-kaido
    6. Shiretoko Oudan Road
    5. Izu Skyline
    4. Shiga Kusatsu Road
    3. Yamanami Highway
    2. Venus Line
    1. Bandai Azuma Skyline
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

number 1 is a great road done it a few times and number 13 is great when the ice/snow walls are there went up there a few years ago in car but was a great drive
    i have some pics of it on this site somewhere..

I've done 13. Mikata Goko Rainbow Line, the sights are nice but as a road it's pretty boring. It is cool seeing the ocean on 1 side and a lake, probably brackish, on another side, all on different elevations. It's a toll road however and there are no fuel stations.

For the perenial road to nowhere, I nominate the road running parallel to Rt 207 around Mt. Kunimi. Will initially pass through a village literally built on the cliffs, and I mean literally, fall off your balcony while sunning your futon and you're dead. Once pass the village there is a little road that takes you up and up and up the mountain. There are no rails along the roads, slip and you die. It is however, lined with what can only be described as tombstones. Despite the dangers, the view is breathtaking.

For such a secluded road, it is in amazingly good condition, thanks to your tax yen. Worth a look if you'ever in the area. Stock up on water/food/fuel before heading up. It's at least 2~3 hours before you find a conbini, or even a vending machine.

http://maps.google.co.jp/?hl=en&ie=U...,0.055747&z=15
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  
    Last edited by heng47; 22-03-10 at 10:31 PM.

Nice post!

I think I've done most of these. On my version of that list I would rank Izu Skyline above Azuma Bandai and Venus Line. Better road surface and an incredibly interesting mix of corners that seemed designed by a bike racer.

What? No 246 from Chiyoda-ku through to Futakotamagawa? WTF?
    2016 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2016 - // 2006 Honda CB400 Super Four 2006-2016
    www.nanikore.net

I also found this off Sunday Morning Rides: Japan Routes

Great map, very helpful! I want to plan a tour around hitting some of these roads!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Great map, very helpful! I want to plan a tour around hitting some of these roads!
    Thanks! Took a couple of hours to do but was definitely worth it to find out properly where is good to ride in Japan. These types of blog posts (that I based the map on) really should end up being maps.

Boy, I thought I was a desperate sad-o for treating route 477 and the Suzuka Skyline as my own personal race track, lapping several times a ride... some of those roads are retarded short. In fact, I reckon on some of those roads - you'd have more fun getting there. Willing to bet that a J-bike mag's criteria for "best road" is not inline with mine... :(

I'm pretty sure I've been on number 8 at least once too. Thanks for posting the map up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    some of those roads are retarded short. In fact, I reckon on some of those roads - you'd have more fun getting there. Willing to bet that a J-bike mag's criteria for "best road" is not inline with mine... :(
    The 16 roads are not necessarily the twistiest or best "riding" roads. Some of them are in there for outstanding scenery (Tsunoshima big bridge, Shimanami Kaido) or because they provide a unique experience (Chirihama Nagisa Driveway, where you ride directly on an actual beach).
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Serussly? Eyes front, unless you want to be a statistic :o

Personally, I ride a bike to ride the bike. I'll take a bus if I want to look at scenery...

Yeah, Chirihama - what a dump! Nice way to ruin a beautiful piece of nature - drive your nasty cars and bikes over it cos there's nowhere else to drive?!?
    (Or rather, get your bike stuck in the sand several bikes stuck when we were there...)

Well, it is much easier to pull over and look at the scenery on a bike than in a car in most cases. That's what I love about a bike on the narrow roads I ride hunting out old roadside stuff to take pictures of. I can stop practically anywhere and still leave room for cars to get by.

True that.

Problem with narrow roads is that everyone assumes they're the only people using the road :o and it's hard to pass :D

The places with the things I want to see typically are seriously devoid of traffic. The presence of others usually defines my absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    The places with the things I want to see typically are seriously devoid of traffic. The presence of others usually defines my absence.

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Since I mostly go places nobody else cares to go to, it isn't all that hard to pull off.

Thanks! I'd like to know any extra recommended routes around Tokyo/Izu. As you can see here, this is the trip I'm planning. Feel free to revise and post a reply here . Wil

I'm glad I got the bit about riding on the beach right! I presumed that's what it was about but the blog didn't make it all that clear. I just drew a line along the sand based on what looked like entry and exit points.