Thread: custom frames and shaken.

Default custom frames and shaken.

Checking out several options for my thesis project right now, simply put, I am going to build a bike. Preferably, it will move.

My first idea is, buy an engine off yahoo, fab my own frame and other body parts. Is something like this shaken-able?
    I would suppose no, but just need to ask. I feel silly asking this in person in shops so I'm hoping the internet's veil of anonymity would help reduce that feeling of shame.

My project actually requires 2~3 types of frames, though I'll only be building one. But if I can't put it on the road, there isn't much point spending too much money on a working engine. So my other option is to buy a perfectly normal bike, remove the engine for length of project then put it back in when it's over.

Option 3 is to use an electric motor.
    Last edited by heng47; 30-03-10 at 06:19 PM.

if its a 250CC then no problem.. if bigger than a 250cc then yes many problems...what kind of bike are you planning on building..??.

I'm planning on a standard UJM, have yet to decide engine type. I'm personally inclined towards V-twins but an il4 or even a single might work. This is something I'll have to workout with my lecturer as we flesh out the concept.

I say option #3! E motors rock socks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco
    If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Buy an old 250 frame with registration papers. Use the headstock with the numbers on it. Your problem will be insurance. If you have a claim they wont honor it.

I know a Japanese guy who totally changed the frame of his bike (welding, cutting, new tubes in new places, etc) to change it from dual rear shocks to a monoshock, among other changes. He is riding it so presumably it passed shaken.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

if the frame number and engine type are the same it will pass shaken...