Thread: Japanese vs. US helmet size/fit

Default Japanese vs. US helmet size/fit

I heard rumors that any particular make/model (take your pick) of helmet when comparing the Japanese version against the US version is different in fit. Supposedly, the Japanese version is slightly smaller for the internal dimensions. Is this true? The reason I'm asking is I went to Rico Land and tried on all the Shoei and Arai helmets they had, and the Shoei's fit the best. I believe it was the x11. Anyhow, if I were to order this from the States, would the fit be the same or should I just buy local? Thanks!

Kris

The internal shapes are different. I take the same size in both US and Japan Shoeis.
    Last edited by Twinrider; 10-04-10 at 08:23 AM.

Don't get too caught up in this debate. I wear Sho, Arai and KBC. They are all a size M and some are from here some are from the US....Two differnt Shos fit differently...My current arai doesn't fit the same as my old RX-7, and all my KBC fit great.

The trick is to always try it on before you make any major purchase like a helmet.

Also unless you are really in the market for a high end sho or arai I would order from the states and have it send over....You can get a KBC for 115 shipped...I love them and own two of their street helmets and two of their dirt helmets and never intend on buying another Arai but maybe one of those Sho Motard lids....Those are sweet!

Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco
    If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.

I'm a huge believer in the trying on before you buy, but since I would have to mail order a helmet from the States, it makes it a little more difficult. This is why I was hoping the sizing between the US and Japanese models were at least close, which it sounds like they are. All the helmets I tried on at Rico Land and a local Icon shop (for comparison), were a size large. The ones that were comfortable fit well. Looks like it's time to start doing a little comparison shopping. Anyone have any websites they frequent, and trust, for gear?

Kris

Don`t forget that if you buy local, they will swap the pads for free to ensure a perfect fit! I think Arai had three thicknesses of cheek pad. All their lids came with the M size pads. If it was a little tight
    you could try the S pad. If a little loose..... you get the point!

Oh and helmet shops are one of the few retailers willing to haggle! Go to Corin (well maybe not!) and tell them XXYZ have the same lid for 5,000 less and they would match it.

Centimeters is centimeters ... maybe the internal shape is different but I find that kind of hard to believe ???

I have a US Arai RX7 and a Japanese Arai RX7. Both are size medium (57-58cm), made within the last 4 years, but do have a different fit. I can describe it best in that the American version feels more open in the lowest part of the helmet while the Japanese feels more oval, as in it feels like there is padding for the jaw bone.

While the American version is easier to get on, the Japanese version does actually feel oval like it's padding more of my head. Bigger opening for fat American heads?

Everything else feels the same though, just the amount of padding/pressure on the lower jaw and ease to get the helmet on.

Dana
    A man will marry a woman hoping she never changes but a woman will marry a man hoping he will change. Author Unknown

2010 Yamaha WR250X
    2008 CBR1000RR Race Bike (For Sale)
    2004 Multistrada 1000DS (For Sale)

Different pads? I'm sure it's possible, but from an economic stand-point it seems a bit odd ...

I like to think I have a fairly big head. I fit into my Shoei RFX (stateside RF1000) XXL but I think it's a tad too big and I could've gone with the XL size (was a tight fit but I've lost a bit of weight since).

I could not fit into the biggest Arai helmets and none of the cheaper brands fit well.

I would argue that the Japanese helmets' measurements are more round-shaped on the inside whereas European heads are a bit more oval (narrow at the front/rear). I think webikeworld mentions this stuff in their reviews (I could be mistaken).
    "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" - Det. John Kimble

Not sure if you like it as the info is light, but maybe you can find something interesting in the Shoei report - http://ubnomad.com/magazine.html