Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust!

Default Rust!

The bike is always parked on cement or blacktop and covered almost every night. Its rusting and its pissing me off. Especially the little galvanized nuts on the ends of my spokes. What do you guys do to control rust here?

My F650GS also rusted in the same place on the spokes. Not much you can do about that other than keep at it with the steel wool or a rust inhibitor.

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    What do you guys do to control rust here?
    Powdercoat

Spoke nipples rust because they are between 2 different metals, an alloy rim and a steel spoke. Moisture acts an electrolyte creating a tiny battery that corrodes the nipples because of galvanic action.

It is a real pain to clean off the rust with a wire brush, and then treat with rust converter (that makes the rust go black) and then paint.

The best (but most expensive) is to have the wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes and alloy nipples.

Preventing this before it happens is easier, and wax is the answer.

Also covering the bike when it is wet can be a bad idea. The cover traps the moisture near the bike which accelerates corrosion.
    It's best to let the bike dry before covering it.

As thebob said, polish with wax or such. When ever i get a new or new used bike, the first
    thing i do is polish everything. Never had an issue on any of my bikes with rust.

After that waxing about once or twice a year is generally good enough. My Harley has been
    polished about 5 times in 5 years and there is not one piece of rust on it.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

After spending a fair amount of time cleaning the rust off the scraped foot pegs from the previous owner, I uncovered my bike to ride yesterday and it was all rusted up, so bad that my fingers turned orange-brown by touching it...
    I guess WD-40 alone will not prevent rust this rainy season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wax that can be cheaply bought in Japan?
    Currently riding a CB400SS and Honda Dio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    As thebob said, polish with wax or such. When ever i get a new or new used bike, the first
    thing i do is polish everything. Never had an issue on any of my bikes with rust.

After that waxing about once or twice a year is generally good enough. My Harley has been
    polished about 5 times in 5 years and there is not one piece of rust on it.
    My W650 is 4 years older than my GS was, and has no rust at on its spokes. Spoke nipple rust seems to be an F650GS specialty!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    My W650 is 4 years older than my GS was, and has no rust at on its spokes. Spoke nipple rust seems to be an F650GS specialty!
    But you have no idea what the original owner did.

All chromed or steel spokes will rust if not looked after, nothing manufacturer specific from what I have seen.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubon View Post
    After spending a fair amount of time cleaning the rust off the scraped foot pegs from the previous owner, I uncovered my bike to ride yesterday and it was all rusted up, so bad that my fingers turned orange-brown by touching it...
    I guess WD-40 alone will not prevent rust this rainy season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wax that can be cheaply bought in Japan?
    Go to the DIY shop and look for "Rust converter" it should be near the touch up paint and pick up a small wire brush at the same time.

Knock off any flakes with the wire brush, then paint with rust converter. Use a separate container, and don't contaminate the rust converter in the pot or it won't last. Rust converter contains tannic acid which combines with rust to make iron tannate, a sort of blue/black crust that protects the metal underneath. Then wash it down with some soapy water when it has gone black.

Your footpegs, need taking off if the rust is coming from the pivot, clean up/treat the rust then assemble with grease.

"Rust never sleeps", and the rust streaks will grow if not attended to.

General automotive wax is about 780, just get the cheap stuff not for metallic. Clean everything perfectly, if the paint is crazed go over it first with a little compound. When everything is clean, use one cloth or sponge to put the wax on, wait till it goes white, then buff it with another clean cloth. This will stop the dirt and water sticking.

It's a long job to get a bike looking good, but keep at it and just tackle the worst bits first and as it improves you will have more incentive to keep it that way.

I just thought! If your bike has cast iron disk brakes that might be where the rust is coming from.

But you have no idea what the original owner did.
    Yeah, that's true and the bike is in nice condtion overall. But the spokes don't look clean, just rust-free. The stock wheels are RK Excel alloys so maybe the spokes and nipples are stainless. Will do a magnet test!

At some point you all have to ask yourselves what you want to do more; Spend time researching, finding and then applying chemicals to your rides that ultimately only yield marginal results or would you rather spend your time in the saddle riding? RUST NEVER SLEEPS! You can slow it, you can inhibit it, but you CANNOT stop it from reocurring without changing the media of the metals surface. Yes, there are treatments out there that work better than others but once applied the original luster of the metal is usually degraded, so what's the point?

POWERCOAT is the way to go boys and girls! With proper surface prep and application of the coating the rust should never break through or continue to spread. It only takes a few seconds to wipe down when dirty and requires no waxing or polishing. All this adds up to more time riding. I've been going this route on all my bikes for the past 6 years or so and haven't looked back. To top it all off it's available in every color know to mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    At some point you all have to ask yourselves what you want to do more; Spend time researching, finding and then applying chemicals to your rides that ultimately only yield marginal results or would you rather spend your time in the saddle riding? RUST NEVER SLEEPS! You can slow it, you can inhibit it, but you CANNOT stop it from reocurring without changing the media of the metals surface.
    How true. I cleaned my GS's rusty spoke nipples till they were spotless, and even put rust inhibitor on them. Gave the bike regular cleanings but a couple months later the rust was back.

Like is said, I polish my wheels once when new. Then the bike once and year and no rust to deal with. Easy peasy.
    I don't use chemicals that provide marginal results.

Regular maintenance ( should include some form of cleaning/protection for the paint/metal ) is the best way to know
    your ride is safe. Most people don't look at nuts or bolts but when cleaning it is easy to spot something amiss. Funny the
    two guys saying it is a waste of time have the cleanest bikes I have seen.....................

Like is said, I polish my wheels once when new. Then the bike once and year and no rust to deal with. Easy peasy.
    But that once a year is the only time your Harley sees the light of day!

Actually I don't remember the spokes being a problem on my softail. Just my GS...

Thanks guys. I choose all of the above.

I'll use some chemical and brush it off. Then paint it. After that dries good and hard I'll wax em.

I don't use chemicals that provide marginal results.

Regular maintenance ( should include some form of cleaning/protection for the paint/metal ) is the best way to know
    your ride is safe. Most people don't look at nuts or bolts but when cleaning it is easy to spot something amiss. Funny the
    two guys saying it is a waste of time have the cleanest bikes I have seen.....................
    The key is prevention. Rust never sleeps once it starts. Prevent it from occuring in the first place and you'll have no issues. I have rust on my Road King. Once the component that has the rust gets to a point where routine cleaning and polishing fail to meet my standard, it gets a powdercoated replacement

With that said, I'd be willing to bet I can find a spot or two of rust on your bike JAV

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post

Actually I don't remember the spokes being a problem on my softail. Just my GS...
    No problem with the spokes on my Fatboy.... That being said the aloo mi num (as "you guys" would say) needs a lot of care and attention.

Every time you guys say "rust never sleeps", Neil Young plays in my head.

I don't know why they put stainless spokes, anodized rims, but stupid crummy galvanized nuts on those wheels. I guess it makes me feel better to know that the germans aren't perfect.

Well, I did a magnet test with positive results for spokes and nipples. Considering the lack of rust despite grunge I would wager stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
    No problem with the spokes on my Fatboy.... That being said the aloo mi num (as "you guys" would say) needs a lot of care and attention.
    yup, full blackout would be on my mod menu