Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doccuments needed to transfer registation of bike?

Default Doccuments needed to transfer registation of bike?

If you are selling/buying a used bike, what are the documents needed to transfer registration from the previous owner to the new owner?

What is the registation process like overall? Just take the documents to the ward office, or what? And does the new owner have to go do it himself, or can the previous owner do it for him?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I'm pretty sure that's covered in this thread. If it's bigger than a 125 you do the name change at the shakenjo.

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...to-sell-a-bike

So basically, the seller gives those documents from that thread to the buyer, and then the buyer uses those documents to do the new registration himself at the kuyakusho or shakenjo?

I didn't know you had to go to the shakenjo, I thought just kuyakusho.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Shakenjo for anything bigger than a 125, because they have to re-issue the shaken papers with the ownership transfer reflected.

Okay, but the BUYER goes to the shakenjo, right? The seller just forks over the documents from the other thread, and then it's all on the buyer to go to the shakenjo and complete the re-resgistration?

Also, how do I find a shakenjo near my location? I've never gone to one myself.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

link to find your local vehicle inspection/registration center:

https://www.navi.go.jp/english/office/index.html

dont trust the buyer to go take care of the re-registration, not even your best friend! take their money and give them the license plate and documents. then only release the vehicle to them when they bring a new plate and shaken documents with their name on them. when people want the bike they will make the time to go get the docs transferred. once they have the bike they often dont find the time. stories abound of people being burned by turning over a bike and trusting the buyer to do the transfer!

Okay, so I only have to go to the kuyakusho to get my nozeishomeisho (proof that taxes have been paid). Then:

(1) I give all my docs and the number plate to the buyer.

(2) Buyer takes everything to the shakenjo and gets a new number plate.

(3) Buyer comes back to my place and shows me the new plate and new shaken docs in his name.

(4) We put the new plate on the bike and he rides off. Done!

Correct?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

You don't need to give him any proof that the tax has been paid. That's only needed when shaken is renewed, and at that time it will be the latest receipt that's needed, not the one from this year.

And he won't need to change the plate if he also uses a Shinagawa plate, he just has to get a new shaken document made with his name on it.

Okay... so:

(1) all I need are those two Japanese documents from the other thread, NOT the proof of tax payment.

(2) Then I just give Buyer those documents, and he goes to the shakenjo WITHOUT any number plate.

(3) When Buyer comes back with the new shaken documents in his name, I give him the bike with the same number plate it always had. Done!

Is that right?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Give the buyer the two Japanese documents, the shaken document and reg papers. Then he can do the name change IF he also uses a Shinagawa plate. However if he's in an area that has a different license plate he will also need to take the current plate with him, and they will issue him a new license plate.

He will also need a juminhyo from his ward office to prove his legal residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Give the buyer the two Japanese documents, the shaken document and reg papers. Then he can do the name change IF he also uses a Shinagawa plate. However if he's in an area that has a different license plate he will also need to take the current plate with him, and they will issue him a new license plate.

He will also need a juminhyo from his ward office to prove his legal residency.

Okay, sorry for so many questions, but how do I know if he uses a Shinagawa plate or not if he doesn't already have a vehicle?

Also... if he needs a different number plate, he still just goes to the shakenjo for that? Not the kuyakusho?
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 28-06-10 at 10:51 AM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Also... if he needs a different number plate, he still just goes to the shakenjo for that? Not the kuyakusho?
    Afaik, the ku doesn't issue plates for vehicles. So he needs to go to the shakenjo. The easiest is to go together, as I did with TwinRider when I bought the Fazer from him.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Okay... but still, how do you know if someone needs a Shinagawa plate or some other plate? What determines it? Is there a website where you can type in your postcode or something and it tells you?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Just ask him what kind of plates are on the vehicles parked around his house.

There are three centers for metro Tokyo, and two for west Tokyo.

Adachi, Nerima, Shinagawa, Tama, Hachioji.

If you're coming through to Samezu (Shinagawa) give me a shout and I'll break away for lunch if you have time.

So does this mean the KTM is finding a happy new owner?

Well, if it does, I'll be ready.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

still got the X4??

The X4 is on a journey of self-discovery.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Okay, this may be obvious but humor me: If I am selling a bike with jibaiseki and an additional insurance policy I bought, is it right that I cancel the additional insurance policy (since it is not legally required and I'm paying for it), but leave the jibaiseki alone?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

The Jibaiseki is part of the shaken and goes to the new owner (no need to change the name) the other insurance is yours and yours only... cancel the insurance or just keep it and swap it to your next bike..

how much do you want for the x4??