Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zumo 660- BMW Navigator IV version

Default Zumo 660- BMW Navigator IV version

i got a chance to really test out my new 660 on my recent trip to hokkaido. i havent ever had a 550 so i cant really compare the two. i am using an iphone 3GS and a B+COM sb213 helmet headset.

firstly, the navi is great. i loaded up up down on it and used that for gravel roads that didnt show up on the garmin maps v. 11.0, so i am well pleased with its performance as an offroad navi. in addition, it showed tons of restaurants in the little ski town of kutchan where my buddys garmin nuvi showed none! i am not sure if this is due to the fact that i loaded the extra map info from the mapsource maps or not.

i have the BMW version with the physical buttons on the side. i think the normal 660 would also be good but i would not go back and spend the extra to get this version again. i bought a wiring splicing kit from touratech so that i can easily remove the cradle and an extra kit to wire it onto my DRZ. this is necessary as the BMW version comes with a BMW specific power outlet which is plug and play with a special plug from the electrical system. havent gotten a chance to test that yet though as the DRZ is in for a valve check.

now for the real geeky stuff! the 660 acts as a bluetooth hub for my iphone and my helmet com system. i can view my iphone contacts, dialed numbers, recieved and missed calls, as well as my battery status and signal strength on the zumo display. of course i can also use the display to make and answer calls without getting my phone out. sometimes the signal gets garbled between the iphone and the zumo and it is necessary to restart the iphone a few times a day to keep them playing nice together.

it is nice to hear the turn by turn directions through the com system. it wasnt playing music as there was a bug with the b+com, but i have installed a new 660 specific driver and it seems to be working fine now. however, i havent thoroughly road tested that yet.

overall, i am very pleased with this upgrade!

Sounds like a great unit! I checked out the BMW specific 660 at Marutomi the other day. Very nice but I was bummed out to find that the buttons are built into the BMW-specific cradle with the BMW-specific connectors rather than on the side of the GPS unit like I had expected. C'mon BMW, share the love!

I just loaded version 10 Garmin map into my 550 and the detail is far better than the previous version I was using, which I guess would explain why it is a much bigger file. I should take advantage of the bluetooth capability, will have to change my archaic AU phone though.
    Last edited by Twinrider; 31-08-10 at 07:29 PM.

When were you in Hokkaido?

Just got back from two weeks up there. Was coming back on the 26th when I saw
    a Gaijin on a bike I though I recognized, but thought no way.............................
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

wow, where did you see possibly see me? was heading from hakkodate to otaru on the 26th on the BMW.

Does everyone get their Zumos in Japan? Or a non-Japan one? And can you load the Up Up Down maps alongside whatever is the base map?
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

mine is the jmodel. i upload the up up down maps in addition to the jmaps because they show more backroads and gravel roads. the POIs was the big reason for me to upgrade so the jmodel was the way to go. not sure if you can buy the jmaps with POIs or not. in addition, i dont think there is much of a difference in price in the US vs the Jmodel for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    wow, where did you see possibly see me? was heading from hakkodate to otaru on the 26th on the BMW.
    Sorry the 25th. I was arriving in Hakkodate after two weeks with the family in Hokkaido. We traveled in the camper van.
    Saw a face I thought I recognised exiting a gas stand on a bike. Not sure, but I think there was another bike as the rider looked
    back to the pumps. Thought ran through my head, then the though "this is boondocks Hokkaido, no way.........."

If it was you I saw it would have been afternoonish, as we were heading to a sushi restaurant. You would not believe it
    but there are almost no sushi restaurants north of Hakkodate and almost no rice fields................ and of course my daughter wanted to eat sushi.........
    Last edited by Jav; 31-08-10 at 08:10 PM.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai View Post
    Does everyone get their Zumos in Japan? Or a non-Japan one? And can you load the Up Up Down maps alongside whatever is the base map?
    Mine is Japanese.

mine is the jmodel. i upload the up up down maps in addition to the jmaps because they show more backroads and gravel roads. the POIs was the big reason for me to upgrade so the jmodel was the way to go. not sure if you can buy the jmaps with POIs or not. in addition, i dont think there is much of a difference in price in the US vs the Jmodel for a change.
    Weird that the up-down map has more gravel and back roads listed of all things, I thought their detail was supposed to be pretty lacking. How do you load it in?

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai View Post
    Mine's also Japanese. The POIs/phone number navigation makes it worth the higher price imo. I know someone now trying to load Garmin Japan maps into their US Zumo but having little success. I think the kanji on the maps just shows up as jibberish, might be other issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I think the kanji on the maps just shows up as jibberish
    That's just how kanji look, normally.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Sorry the 25th. I was arriving in Hakkodate after two weeks with the family in Hokkaido. We traveled in he camper van.
    Saw a face I thought I recognised exiting a gas stand on a bike. Not sure, but I think there was another bike as the rider looked
    back to the pumps. Thought ran through my head, then the though "this is boondocks Hokkaido, no way.........."

If it was you I saw it would have been afternoonish, as we were heading to a sushi restaurant. You would not believe it
    but there are almost no sushi restaurants north of Hakkodate and almost no rice fields................ and of course my daughter wanted to eat sushi.........
    on the 25th we headed from kutchan/niseko to hakkodate. we gassed up in kutchan around 11 probably. vtwister was on an orange versys. our buddy harald headed back to otaru on the 25th from kutchan on a silver yamaha standard bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Weird that the up-down map has more gravel and back roads listed of all things, I thought their detail was supposed to be pretty lacking. How do you load it in?
    yeah surprisingly, up up down has all the hiking paths and often the smaller roads/ alleys show up on the up up down but not on the garmin city navigator maps. if you are into minor road /backroad and rindo touring , up up down is extremely useful. up up down doesnt have the route numbers on the bigger roads which is a big negative in my mind, but that doesnt matter using it on a j unit.

to load the up up down you need to load mapsource on your windows machine, and install the up up down maps. you select the up up down map, then you use the map section selector tool to select the areas you want to upload to your device. you then upload the data to your unit. on your unit you can select which maps you want to view in the map menus. maybe it is under the map details menus. you need to turn off the city navigator map and make sure the up up down map is on. i do this when the city navigator map is not showing the road. not sure if it works the same on the 550?

i'll try to add some screenshots later when i can fire up my XP machine.
    Last edited by haildamage; 31-08-10 at 08:17 PM.

select the map you want to upload:

select the map sections for upload to your device. the selected sections will be tinted pink. notice the red circle around the proper tool on the toolbar:

click the upload to device button and find your connected unit. notice the red circle on the toolbar:

congratulations you are now a certified GPS GEEK!
    Last edited by haildamage; 01-09-10 at 12:50 AM.

upupdown shows this little gravel gem:

japan city navigator does not:

Thanks for posting that, very good info.

upupdown shows this little gravel gem:

japan city navigator does not:
    I don't have my City Navigator software handy to check, but I'd bet that it DOES have that little gravel gem!

I notice you have the City Navigator scale set to 700m. Try zooming in to 100m or even 50m. Sometimes the really small roads don't pop up on the screen until you zoom way in. But you can still map a route on them, and then it will show up no matter what scale you have it set to.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I don't have my City Navigator software handy to check, but I'd bet that it DOES have that little gravel gem!

I notice you have the City Navigator scale set to 700m. Try zooming in to 100m or even 50m. Sometimes the really small roads don't pop up on the screen until you zoom way in. But you can still map a route on them, and then it will show up no matter what scale you have it set to.
    good thing you didnt bet! i just checked and japan city navigator v 6 and 11 do not have that road no matter how much you zoom in. i zoomed out as far as the road still showed for the screenshot to show as much of it as possible. i know its hard to believe but upupdown truly does show more backroads, alleys and trails. maybe the japan city navigator folks want you to buy japan trails and topo!

Nice info Mr Damage.

maybe the japan city navigator folks want you to buy japan trails and topo!
    I believe that, since they want me to spend 20,000 yen to update city navigator every time the government builds a new expressway link.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja