Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Shuto1K (1,000 miles in 24 hours on the Shuto)

Default Tokyo Shuto1K (1,000 miles in 24 hours on the Shuto)

Please be courteous enough not to tie up this thread with negative or demeaning comments, we are very serious about this so please only constructive ideas/criticism. If you don’t agree with this idea or think its plain stupid, that’s your prerogative - no one is forcing you to participate, thank you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sure many of the people on GR (especially from the US) have heard of the IBA (Iron Butt Association) who approve and certify Long Distance rides (http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts).
    Well I and a few fellow Tokyo Rider friends are planning on doing our own IBA certified ride we’ve dubbed the Tokyo Shuto1K (miles). The idea is to loop the Shuto network for 1,000 miles (1,610 km), switching direction every 200-300 kms to minimize the wear on the riders and tires & bikes. This is not planned as a race event, but rather a long distance ride event, where the basic requirement is to complete 1,000 miles with in 24 hours.
    The IBA has published a set of rules and guidelines for planning and obtaining approval for an SS1K (SaddleSore) type certified ride (http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1), which we are currently trying to meet in order to obtain their approval for our plan.

The idea currently being considered is to use C1 to 5 to C2 to B to K1 to 1 to 11 to 2 and back to C1, this will loop around most of Tokyo and Yokohama/Kawasaki. And we can reverse direction by using K5 (Maybe) or any of the eastern radial routes (6/7/9).
    http://www.shutoko.jp/drivers/stop/henkou/1.html
    http://www.shutoko.jp/company/publi/guide/e/index.html

The purpose of this thread is twofold, one is to see if anyone on GR is interested in joining us and two to see if anyone here wishes to volunteer about an hour of their time to act as a volunteer witness on one of our scheduled gas, rest, food, etc stops. We will probably need about 10 people (the more the better) to man 1 or more (preferably more) gas stations, conbini stores, etc where we schedule our stops, the gas stops would have to be at the Shuto exists since no PAs on the Shuto sell gas, the food and rest stops could be on the Shuto PAs. We will be stopping for gas about every 200 kms so, and other stops as planned and/or necessary.
    http://www.shutoko.jp/company/publi/gui ... 6/p36.html
    http://www.shutoko.jp/english/parking/index.html

This is not going to be an easy ride nor do we want it to be, it will be a challenge, both to plan and to complete, but then that’s why we want to do it, oh and it’s never been done here and like this :mrgreen:

If anyone has any contacts at bike related media companies such as Big Machine magazine or others please let us know as we would like to check if they would be interested in covering and/or sponsoring this ride. If there is some corporate sponsorship we may try to donate any excess proceeds to charity(s).
    Constructive ideas/criticism are welcome.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

AFAIK, there are restrictions on bikes over 250cc on parts of the Shuto at night. This may be old or wrong info, but it would be worth checking into. (Maybe a choice machine would be a 250cc scooter?)

I know that cars do "the loop" at night. And some are going VERY fast, eg. souped up Skylines and other cars with 500-800+hp. They are known to be the cause of some horrendous accidents.

Aside from the latter points I would say that your proposition is interesting at the very least. Some major challenges for riders to overcome would be safety, stamina, and logistics and route!

(Beeing from the burbs of Saitama) I have this strange fear of the Shuto. Before I used it by car, I used to have this image of the inner Shuto as being the Labyrinth that you could never escape from, once entered. The Minotaur lived down there too... :roll:

I've not used the inner loop by bike, but even in a my car using the navigation system, I make wrong turns. It is a very unforgiving place in that regard. Often there is little warning of forks or exits and you can easily be in the wrong lane and quickly be in a situation in which you can do nothing about it. (Constructive Critisism: maybe have an acclimation ride prior to the actaul event.)

So... what I guess I am saying is, IMHO, this Iron Butt proposition, as with other such events, would be, in a word, CHALLENGING.
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ni-kito
    AFAIK, there are restrictions on bikes over 250cc on parts of the Shuto at night. This may be old or wrong info, but it would be worth checking into. (Maybe a choice machine would be a 250cc scooter?)

I know that cars do "the loop" at night. And some are going VERY fast, eg. souped up Skylines and other cars with 500-800+hp. They are known to be the cause of some horrendous accidents.

Aside from the latter points I would say that your proposition is interesting at the very least. Some major challenges for riders to overcome would be safety, stamina, and logistics and route!

(Beeing from the burbs of Saitama) I have this strange fear of the Shuto. Before I used it by car, I used to have this image of the inner Shuto as being the Labyrinth that you could never escape from, once entered. The Minotaur lived down there too... :roll:

I've not used the inner loop by bike, but even in a my car using the navigation system, I make wrong turns. It is a very unforgiving place in that regard. Often there is little warning of forks or exits and you can easily be in the wrong lane and quickly be in a situation in which you can do nothing about it. (Constructive Critisism: maybe have an acclimation ride prior to the actaul event.)

So... what I guess I am saying is, IMHO, this Iron Butt proposition, as with other such events, would be, in a word, CHALLENGING.
    ni-kito thanks for the info, I will try to double check the Shuto restrictions on bikes & times, but over the last year or so I have been on the Shuto at pretty much all hours of the day & night and have never experienced any problems with restrictions, cops, etc. IMHO, the Shuto is actually quite nice to ride on when it's not overly congested.
    I agree it can be a little confusing trying to stay on course, we are planning on doing a few dry run laps to get familiar with the route we're going to be taking before the actual ride. This will probably coincide with the "measurements" we need to obtain of the distances and exact route to provide to the IBA to ensure they approve this ride to be eligible for IBA certification.
    Thanks for your help.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

I think you'll find that those restrictions are on bikes UNDER, not over, 250 cc. I take the shuto a lot for emergency callouts to work, and have probably ridden every hour around the clock at some point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by ni-kito
    It's actually pretty easy to deal with once you get the hang of it. hub and spoke, tunnels down the Shinjuku side, underpasses and dividers onthe Ginza side, and tunnel from Kanda to Shimbashi that saves you NO time unless you have ETC ('cause you have to stop and grab a ticket to avoid getting double charged, and stop again to hand it to the next toll collector)

I think the most challenging part (logisitically) of this 'un is going to be finding places to gass up. You'Re talking about ten or so tanks of gas for most stock bikes.

Another one to watch for is the nifty anti-bosozoku law defining more than three riders in formation as a bosozoku. After a few passes by the same spot, Johnny Law might just take an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    I think you'll find that those restrictions are on bikes UNDER, not over, 250 cc. I take the shuto a lot for emergency callouts to work, and have probably ridden every hour around the clock at some point or another.

It's actually pretty easy to deal with once you get the hang of it. hub and spoke, tunnels down the Shinjuku side, underpasses and dividers onthe Ginza side, and tunnel from Kanda to Shimbashi that saves you NO time unless you have ETC ('cause you have to stop and grab a ticket to avoid getting double charged, and stop again to hand it to the next toll collector)

I think the most challenging part (logisitically) of this 'un is going to be finding places to gass up. You'Re talking about ten or so tanks of gas for most stock bikes.

Another one to watch for is the nifty anti-bosozoku law defining more than three riders in formation as a bosozoku. After a few passes by the same spot, Johnny Law might just take an interest.
    EvilTwin, thanks for that insight, I actually had no idea about the anti-bosozoku law. I think to combat this we would try to separate a little (if it became a problem) or at least leave line of sight distance, or whatever it will take.
    Re the gas, our ride plan calls for pulling off the Shuto to fill up (with plenty of reserve left), hence we'll have to identify suitable exits, with 24hr gas stations, especially for the "after hours" times since many gas stations shut down at night.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

How are is it to somewhere like Aomori and back? That might present less problems in terms of logistics (gas, tolls), police, safety issues, etc.

Default Re: Tokyo Shuto1K (1,000 miles in 24 hours on the Shuto)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK
    The idea currently being considered is to use C1 to 5 to C2 to B to K1 to 1 to 11 to 2 and back to C1, this will loop around most of Tokyo and Yokohama/Kawasaki.
    Would the intended route be something like this?

Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    How are is it to somewhere like Aomori and back? That might present less problems in terms of logistics (gas, tolls), police, safety issues, etc.
    I agree and will try to organize something like an Aomori ride in the future, possibly something like an SS1000 on the way up and a BB1500 on the way down. Anyone can do the Aomori and back trip. The Shuto1K is more challenging, unusual and in many ways more difficult, requiring more planning and more precise execution, and IMHO kind of cool 8) too. Mike did the DC1K ride, which in some respects is even tougher
    http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_pos ... PN=1&TPN=1
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by throttle
    The idea currently being considered is to use C1 to 5 to C2 to B to K1 to 1 to 11 to 2 and back to C1, this will loop around most of Tokyo and Yokohama/Kawasaki.
    Would the intended route be something like this?
    throttle, thanks for the great suggestion, yes something similar to that to try to get the scenery as diverse as possible on a ride of this nature. We've kicked around some ideas, depending on consensus, 24hr gas station availability, traffic, etc. of making detours off the "loop" onto S1, K2, B, etc. Generally however the kind of route you've outlined is the most likely, we still need to confirm that this kind of loop is doable, and take the necessary measurements with the GPS to send with our ride plan to the IBA.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Yup Throttle. That's the route I had posted. Haven't ridden it yet though so don't know if stretches of it are just going to be car parks or not. But wanted to make a "lap" be as long as possible to reduce the possibility of getting complacent from doing the same route over and over and over...

One thought that maybe some of you guys might be able to shed light on, is the possibility of a van with fuel being available. Obviously gas tankers and the like use the Shuto all the time, so I don't think it's a problem in that regard, but I would assume that spare gas would have to be in an appropriately safe container. From my own gas-consumption calculations I would need 160L to be sure I don't run out.

Further thoughts later...

I don't understand the purpose behind this but am curious-
    What's the toll cost for one loop?
    What are the toll costs for all the loops?
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Different sections have different toll costs, and there are discounts for ETC users at certains times/days.

Tokyo Routes are 700. Kanagawa routes are 600. Whether this means that you pay 700 once for using the Tokyo routes (1, 2, C1, 5, C2, B), and 600 once for using the Kanagawa routes (B, K1), I don't know. There are also 2 sections of the Kanagawa route which are special ETC toll sections (300 Yen), and there is a certain way you have to go through the gates so that it credits your ETC with the difference.

Basically, it's on our list of things to make a note of when we do the "dry run". ;)

sounds like a total nightmare, but why not. heres what i would consider.

getting a gas filter mask to stop a few of the toxic fumes.

put a van in the rest stop with all the fuel you might need in drums. you could even have a gas cooker (the 2 go terribly well together!!) to make real cups of tea in your breaks.

dont do it on a weekend when the traffic is heavier and more erratic (sunday driver syndrome) 1000km of filtering sounds horrendous. but whatever day you do it you can expect many hours of filtering as the C1 is pretty much, for 12 hours of the day blocked up. add a few accidents and itll take you 36 not 24 hrs :( :(

there are a few regular bottlenecks that i know of that if avoided will reduce the agony of it all.

enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by theblob
    sounds like a total nightmare, but why not. heres what i would consider.

dont do it on a weekend when the traffic is heavier and more erratic (sunday driver syndrome) 1000km of filtering sounds horrendous. but whatever day you do it you can expect many hours of filtering as the C1 is pretty much, for 12 hours of the day blocked up. add a few accidents and itll take you 36 not 24 hrs :( :(

there are a few regular bottlenecks that i know of that if avoided will reduce the agony of it all.
    enjoy!!
    tB could you please elaborate on the "few regular bottlenecks" which parts are these and how you would/do avoid them when you have to - thx.
    The current plan is to start on a Fri or Sat night, after the rush hour traffic usually subsides, and the scheduled maintenance work has finished (through June). From my current observations of both the various evenings/nights I’ve been on the Shuto and the sign boards showing the congestion level at many of the entrances to the Shuto I know that most of the time the Shuto is flowing well after around 11pm. We are hoping to plan the ride to minimize our traffic exposure, if time permits use the worst times for the food and rest/nap breaks. Also, if we plan well then we should be able to mitigate some of the traffic even in the rush hour periods by making sure that during those hours we are looping in the direction opposite to the rash hour traffic, this should at least be less congested then going with the traffic.
    I am not sure that the costs associated with organizing a fuel truck/van (given that none of us has any access to one we can borrow) would yield much of a saving after all the costs involved versus the few extra 700 yen Shuto tolls minus all the hustles and possible problems associated with bringing a fuel truck onto the Shuto, as I’m sure there are numerous reasons relating to Earthquakes etc that the cops/officials would find to disagree with that plan.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

The main regular bottleneck is #5 into C1 - Shinjuku-bound, and the section of C1 preceding it. Also #5 into C2 (which can clear up the one at C1)

Secondary bottleneck is where #1 forks off of C1.

Just check http://roadway.yahoo.co.jp/cwd51/ at around 7:15-7:30 AM and you'll see where they hit.

Wonder if this image will keep updating...
    Edit: Cool, it does. There you go - ten minute delay updated every five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin
    The main regular bottleneck is #5 into C1 - Shinjuku-bound, and the section of C1 preceding it. Also #5 into C2 (which can clear up the one at C1)

Secondary bottleneck is where #1 forks off of C1.

Just check http://roadway.yahoo.co.jp/cwd51/ at around 7:15-7:30 AM and you'll see where they hit.

Wonder if this image will keep updating...
    Edit: Cool, it does. There you go - ten minute delay updated every five minutes.
    You guys are great!!! - thx for all the great info.

Now all we need are some witness volunteers.
    As I mentioned before each volunteer would likely only need to devote about 30 mins of their time.
    http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ss1000.pdf

They would need to simply complete a form similar to the Start & End forms shown at the above link. According to the directions from the IBA officials additional witnesses (not involved in the ride) will be required in order to obtain certification for this ride due to its repetitive/looping nature.
    Thank you in advance to anyone willing to lend a hand.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoBrit
    Different sections have different toll costs, and there are discounts for ETC users at certains times/days.

Tokyo Routes are 700. Kanagawa routes are 600. Whether this means that you pay 700 once for using the Tokyo routes (1, 2, C1, 5, C2, B), and 600 once for using the Kanagawa routes (B, K1), I don't know. There are also 2 sections of the Kanagawa route which are special ETC toll sections (300 Yen), and there is a certain way you have to go through the gates so that it credits your ETC with the difference.

Basically, it's on our list of things to make a note of when we do the "dry run". ;)
    Here is the toll table based on route and vehicle size, bikes as most of you know are charged at the 660cc (K-car) rate. Also most of the current riders participating in this ride already have ETC machines installed, so aside from the convenience factor ETC users will be eligible for credits/discounts depending on the time of day/night.

http://www.shutoko.jp/company/publi/gui ... 9/p09.html

http://www.shutoko.jp/company/publi/gui ... 6/p26.html
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Well I and a few fellow Tokyo Rider friends are planning on doing our own IBA certified ride we’ve dubbed the Tokyo Shuto1K (miles). The idea is to loop the Shuto network for 1,000 miles (1,610 km), switching direction every 200-300 kms to minimize the wear on the riders and tires & bikes. This is not planned as a race event, but rather a long distance ride event, where the basic requirement is to complete 1,000 miles with in 24 hours.
    Ira from IBA advised that we keep in mind that typically Japanese bikes have a speedo error (over estimate) of around 7%, thus on a 1,000 mile/1,610 km ride the actual error in the distance displayed on the odometer could be rather significant, enough to cause us to fall short of the required minimum of 1,000 miles in 24 hours. Thus we should plan to actually ride (according to our odometers) an additional 90 or so kms. Since at least one of us (me) will be bringing along a GPS unit that should also help in insuring that we cover the necessary distance.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

jmhvh

i was thinking that the route from the 6 to the c1 and from there into the 3 is always jammed up especially in the afternoon and best avoided. basically anywhere near shibuya and shinjuku (2,3,4) exits is clogged all day. especially on weekends.