Thread: What are your views on Triumph Tiger 900 (Steamer)

Default What are your views on Triumph Tiger 900 (Steamer)

I'm considering what bike I would like next. While a Ducati 400ss is a fun weekend blast, there are obvious road conditions she is not so happy with.

I think a pre 1998 Triumph Tiger 900, affectionately nicknamed "Steamer" in the UK is what I might be looking for. First of all they were the last ones fitted with carb's which is a consideration for the home mechanic. There seems to be a good supply of parts and expendables.

I'm not much of a polisher, any bike I own will live outside, has to work for a living, and I haven't paid a mechanic to work on a bike for a very long time.

Any bad points about this model? Any similar models you think I should also look out for?

PS. I'm 6'4" so I don't care about seat height!

Just My personal opinion on the Tiger when we test rode them last year, is it will be my last time on a Tiger. Just didn't feel right to me and the suspension was spongy. Have you ever considered a KLR? Those bikes are absolute tanks and bullet proof! And they ride like your on a cloud! Kawi didn't change the KLR design for almost 20 years. Why change it when it's right!? More recently it has gotten a modern overhaul but a KLR is just a perfect workhorse during the week and fun tourer or off roader on the weekend (depends on your set-up)

I found the Tiger 1050 I borrowed for a few days to be a fantastic bike for sport touring and back road exploring. Stonkin' triple motor, excellent suspension, very nimble handling.

The Tiger 900 steamers seem to have a decent reputation on advrider. Personally I would not write-off the injection models. FI usually means less fuss, greater reliability on multi cylinder bikes.

Here's a good source for Tiger info.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=9

And check out this thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=tiger+steamer

Made in England so it must be good

@ tokyojrock I owned the first KLR the kick start only one and it was a dream as you said. It was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I'm not so worried about the suspension being a bit soft, I'm sure that I would have fun setting it up!

@ Twinrider glad you like it. I should really be more open to FI, but carbs are so easy to play with!

@ Fastbike I think they are made in Thailand now. Did they ever sell the "Steamer" in Japan?

KLR650s are extremely rare here, the only ones I've seen for sale were late '80s models.

If you like that kind of bike check out the F650. They are bulletproof, have a carb and are cheap because so many were sold.

This one is 215,000 yen, buy-now.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e108208913

Steamers were sold here and crop up on Yahoo auction from time to time.

Thats a sweet machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    KLR650s are extremely rare here, the only ones I've seen for sale were late '80s models.

If you like that kind of bike check out the F650. They are bulletproof, have a carb and are cheap because so many were sold.

This one is 215,000 yen, buy-now.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e108208913

Steamers were sold here and crop up on Yahoo auction from time to time.

Bananarama!

All you'd ever want to know about F650s and more here: http://faq.f650.com/main.html. This era f650 is known as the Classic.

Nice bike but that colour is from the days of leyland cars...

Thanks for that twinrider, I don't know how to sign up for Yahoo auctions or I'd probably end up buying that!

I had no idea that those were cheap bikes. I think it may be a much better model for me that the steamer considering the popularity of them here.

I cant quite understand the auction notes but it looks like no shaken, front fork seal leak and carb overhaul needed.

The cosmetics don't bother me at all, even though that is a particularly grim color.

Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    Thanks for that twinrider, I don't know how to sign up for Yahoo auctions or I'd probably end up buying that!

I had no idea that those were cheap bikes. I think it may be a much better model for me that the steamer considering the popularity of them here.

I cant quite understand the auction notes but it looks like no shaken, front fork seal leak and carb overhaul needed.
    You're right on the details. The guy's price of 25,000 yen for adding shaken is virtually at cost so it's worthwhile having him do it.

His prices for overhauling the carb and doing the fork seals are also quite a bit less than what a dealer would charge. Of course, if you do it yourself it would be cheaper. Sounds like the bike is ridable as is to get it home.

Btw, check your PMs.