Thread: Who'd a thunk?

Default Who'd a thunk?

Here's an interesting one. Turns out that, on average, Japanese public roads have sharper left-hand corners than right-hand corners. Anyone know why?

because you are on the other side of the car so you have a wider arc and thus greater vision around the corner. :idea:

Which way? Going the way you are going, or coming from the other way? :scratch:
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by theblob
    because you are on the other side of the car so you have a wider arc and thus greater vision around the corner. :idea:
    No sir. It is equally true when you are on a motorcycle. Kind of interesting to think that when you ride a motorcycle around the public roads of Japan, you are riding sharper lefts than rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ni-kito
    Which way? Going the way you are going, or coming from the other way? :scratch:
    'Fraid I am not at all sure I understand your questions, or at least their point, but I can say that I am talking about corners the way you go around them when riding or driving, and not in any other way. Does that help?

Wow, that's a mind bender. At first Russ' opening remark makes no sense. But if you think about it, eventually it does.

I'd say that the reason, is motorcycle sidecars.
    jeremy

Perhaps I should that this is something that hit me one day as a kind of brainstorm, a satori moment, if you will, so it could turn out I am way out to lunch on this.

But I don't thiiiiiiiinnk so!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dawg
    ...a suntory moment, if you will...
    Dawg, I would'a thought that you'd be one to go for the imported stuff. Then again, for the same money, you can have twice as much... ;)
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

not really, if you are talking normal curves and not intersections then its because the inside arc of the turn is tighter than the outside.

the reverse would apply for those countries foolish enough to brave driving on the other side of the road. :!exclaim:

the same logic could be applied to a statement like this....

corners are tighter for cars than bikes....

because bikes can create a wider arc due to their size and in doing so create a longer radius turn than a car can.

It's the same in the UK, right? :-)

edit:
    Uh, what tB said. Change the nappies before clicking 'submit' and you end up with this stuff that you can't delete.
    I wish I could think of something profound to add some value to this post... But then why should this post be any diferent than my others?
    Don't Panic

Default Re: Who'd a thunk?

Here's an interesting one. Turns out that, on average, Japanese public roads have sharper left-hand corners than right-hand corners. Anyone know why?
    Geometry.

Actually a left hand "corner" and a right hand "corner" are both ninety degrees.

A left hand curve as opposed to a right hand curve is a different story.

A left hand curve, or turn, has a shorter radius due to the fact that it on the inside of the curve, or turn.

You will find just the opposite is true for countries that drive on the right (not necessarily correct) side of the road.

hD
    Hoosier Daddy

"What do I ride? Oh, CBRs, R1s, 955is,... just about anything I can get my hands on... Except Gixxers, I hate Gixxers. You couldn't give me one of those #@*!~%^& bastards." paraphrasing Barbarosa

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    Geometry.

Actually a left hand "corner" and a right hand "corner" are both ninety degrees.

A left hand curve as opposed to a right hand curve is a different story.

A left hand curve, or turn, has a shorter radius due to the fact that it on the inside of the curve, or turn.
    Bingo, in principle, although you are wrong about all corners being ninety degrees, which they are not.

But you got the basic point. A good point to bear in mind when street riding, I think -- especially if you remember that it means you are more likely, on average, to have to run wide on a left hander, and guess where that leaves you! Geometry!

Russ, geesh the green in Thailand is powerful.................. :crazyeyes:
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Bingo, in principle, although you are wrong about all corners being ninety degrees, which they are not.
    True, but do you prefer curved roads or cornered roads? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hD
    Hoosier Daddy

"What do I ride? Oh, CBRs, R1s, 955is,... just about anything I can get my hands on... Except Gixxers, I hate Gixxers. You couldn't give me one of those #@*!~%^& bastards." paraphrasing Barbarosa