Thread: DP, Supermoto, RR Fun ?

Default DP, Supermoto, RR Fun ?

This TDR250 looks like fun!

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g45566211

Anyone here ever ride one of these? Too bad the front wheel is 18" as I don't know of any good 18" track tires.
    Don't Panic

Never ridden one of these but I used to have the TZR250R of the same era (Gauloises colours Dominic Sarron/Christian Sarron/Jean Michelle Bayle??) and after my old RD350LC the Japanese spec TZR250 felt like a gutless piece of poo. Got to say though, hats off to Yamaha =D> for being so far ahead of the rest of 'em regarding getting a model out there that was mimicking the trend in Europe, at the time, of super motard \:D/

You'd be able to lace a 17inch rim onto the front for not too much money if you were really inclined but I'd say the suspension, being 20 years old(or more probably) in tech and actual age, wouldn't really cut it so I'm not sure if it'd help you in terms of competitive chance. Depends what you want to do. Just thrashing around aimlessly having fun on a mini bike/go kart track and it'd be quite a laugh.

But, to tell the truth, for the money it's going for now you'd be better buying an '96 onwards XR250. Better fuel consumption as a road bike and probably quicker through the tight bends.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth :mrgreen:
    Rather the fool that knows he's a fool than the fool that thinks he's wise.

who you are means nothing, how you are means everything.

Absynthe makes the fart go Honda

I was strongly considering a TDR250 before I bid on and won the DR. The TDR is two stroke(more power) and a two cyclinder(more power). In stock form, they are mildly tuned, so reliability should be okay, but if you do chose to tune it, it has the highest power potential of any 250 dual purpose bike. It should be easier to start than a 250cc 2st single. It's a good combination of power, low weight, off/on road capability, cheap insurance and no shaken. The TDR would be a good choice if you are wanting a more road and dirt/gravel road biased machine than off road machine.
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

Reading through that TDR auction sheet I'd recommend that you only bid on it if you really, REALLY want it. The auction is done by obviously a bike shop, they've stated their "hoped for price" as 218,000 yen and then when you look further down the page they say "if you bid and then cancel, because of the inconvenience to other bidders, you will incur a cancellation fee of 25,000 yen"

Good luck whichever way you go :mrgreen:

Oh, one more point, from experience I've found that ageing Yamahas deteriorate very rapidly unless they have been exceptionally well looked after

Quote Originally Posted by domrsv1000
    ... deteriorate very rapidly unless they have been exceptionally well looked after
    where did you hear that?

:tool:

Quote Originally Posted by gaptoothedclubfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by domrsv1000
    ... deteriorate very rapidly unless they have been exceptionally well looked after
    where did you hear that?

Who said anything about hearing :roll: :mrgreen:

Thanks a bunch for all the pointers.

I'm a bit surprised that a TZR250 would be so much slower than a RD350lc. Were they both stock?

Also which bikes don't deteriorate very rapidly when parked outside? Just curious because I seem to be in a constant battle against rust with my Yamaha TRX.
    Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by throttle

I'm a bit surprised that a TZR250 would be so much slower than a RD350lc. Were they both stock?.
    My old RD350LC had a stage 1 road and track tune done by Stan Stevens at Brands Hatch and was a nice quick bike. Front would lift on power in 1st and second gears when running leaner jetting but couldn't really handle too long at top speed which was just over 120MPH/200KMH. One size up in jetting made the transition into the power band, in 1st gear, a little bit sputtery but after that it'd sing and sit happily up at high revs.

The TZR250, however, was a complete let down from the word go. The British spec TZR250's were rumoured to have been about 57HP standard but the Japanes spec one's were no where near that and when I got mine, very much second hand, from an Ozzie mate who really had no business owning a bike, it was probably pretty trashed and definitely under even the supposed 45HP Japanese spec TZR's. Never managed a kilo over 150, absolutely no peakiness or even the slightest hint of thrill to the acceleration, even taking away from lights and going at 15-20 KMH, pull the clutch in, give it a huge handfull and dump/fast slip the clutch the front wouldn't lift, (and before you start Roland :roll: , I only weighed 75 kilos in those days ;) )never felt like it was handling properly either. Having said all this though, it did serve as a reasonably reliable commuter bike for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by throttle
    Also which bikes don't deteriorate very rapidly when parked outside? Just curious because I seem to be in a constant battle against rust with my Yamaha TRX.
    A couple of the old XL250R's, that I've had over the last decade, seem to show very little in the way of rust and deterioration when parked outside as long as you use them a couple of times a week or more.