Thread: 2 batteries dead, what have I missed?

Default 2 batteries dead, what have I missed?

ok not getting so much interest in my previous thread, so ive got a new one here as I have new, but similar questions and problems with the 50cc dio.

To update, I now have 2 dead batteries, one old, one new. I bought the new one and slapped it in, but it only had about 11vcharge and never really charged up (infact, it discharged and died along with the old one). For about a week i could only kick start the scooter and it wouldnt even turn over the starter. I took it to get charged by a garage and he just said it was dead and rubbish.

So i gotta buy ANOTHER battery, but i was wondering something. Ive replaced the regulater as i thought that was stopping it recharge, but im not so sure now. What does the dio use to create charge. I havent seen anything like an alternator on it, but its gotta have something, right? what is that missing piece that could be failing me? what should i replace next?

thanks, big help for any info

Well, you need an alternator to charge the battery. If the scooter doesn't have one, it will eat batteries like me peanutbutter...fast.

Can you get a service manual of this scooter? Do some searching over the web, with the manual you should be able to locate some vital electric parts.

I'm guessing you have a voltmeter, have you checked for the charge at the battery with the engine running to see if there is any output to the battery?
    This bike is going to be as black as the inside of a coal miner's black cloak on a moonless night. On a lunar eclipse. Underground.

yeah, im trying to find a manual of this, but no luck yet, just many, many dead ends.

I haveny checked for charge from the battery when the scooter is on. I did check the before and after charge after taking a 10 minute fang, and it did rise by about a volt, but then later, a day or two i guess it was about a volt less. odd and i dont know whats to blame

Bring it to Haneda Honda and ask Ozawa-san to check if the alternator is working. They are honest there and will give you a repair estimate if it is the alternator. www.hanehon.com

Getting it transported there and repairs would be more than the bike is worth...

Have fun trying to fix it yourself....Has it got fire insurance..??

nah, no insurance whatsoever. I actually live pretty close to racing world and probably should go there, but i wanna fix it and work it out myself and avoid the big repair cost and condesention when I admit I use a cheap import battery.

Heres a stupid question, im searching a used parts website for stuff but I dont see any heading for anything like an alternator for bikes. no category for it. What is it called in japanese? I dont suppose power is somehow generated from the starter motor? I doubt it, but cars are more my forte....

thanx

Alternator on motorcycles is not the term generally, it's a Stator.I had never heard anyone call it an alternator until I cam e to Japan and spoke with other riders here from other countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by ausdrifter View Post
    nah, no insurance whatsoever. I actually live pretty close to racing world and probably should go there, but i wanna fix it and work it out myself and avoid the big repair cost and condesention when I admit I use a cheap import battery.

Heres a stupid question, im searching a used parts website for stuff but I dont see any heading for anything like an alternator for bikes. no category for it. What is it called in japanese? I dont suppose power is somehow generated from the starter motor? I doubt it, but cars are more my forte....

thanx

One suggestion if you haven't tried.

NAPS have parts manuals in their store which you can browse at will (they do in Setagaya). Look through a manual and you'll find all the parts laid out. It'll give you an idea about what you're looking for.

Since you have a multimeter, you can do this. Measure the voltage on the battery when the bike is not turned on. It should be between
    12.3 and 12.5 volts typically. Kick start the bike and then when running, perform the same check. It should show between 13.5 and 14 volts.
    If the there is an increase in voltage by 1volt or more, it is likely that the charging system is working. Thus that your replacement battery is
    naf. Winter and completely discharging a lead acid battery can kill them. Usually before installing a new battery I make sure it is fully charged
    up by putting it on the charger for a day.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

great, this is all good info. So If it turns out that the scooter isnt charging the battery, I should get a new starter, right?

Nice follow up Jav!
    This bike is going to be as black as the inside of a coal miner's black cloak on a moonless night. On a lunar eclipse. Underground.

First check the wire comming from the engine...Also check you have power going to the dyno

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Usually before installing a new battery I make sure it is fully charged
    up by putting it on the charger for a day.
    precisely correct. In fact that is in the instructions on ALL lead acid batteries to fully charge before install (with the caps removed in a well ventilated area) but who reads instructions!? Ha