Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye GS and TDM, hello Tiger 800...

Default Goodbye GS and TDM, hello Tiger 800...

Tempting after seeing this vid!

Last edited by Twinrider; 29-01-11 at 11:48 AM.

do it... Triumph is a sweet bike...

looks like a damn nice bike. how are you liking the Dakar in the rough? maybe you should sell the dakar and TDM and get the tiger and a small DS!

Bike looks nice and all, but a bit big for an 800cc, might be a little lacking in power, especially once you have some gear/luggage on it?
    For the price of the new T800 IMHO you could pick up a good used HP2 Mega Moto, no?
    Last edited by JamesK; 29-01-11 at 08:07 PM.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Like the looks of the bike, but the video almost put me to sleep...
    This bike is going to be as black as the inside of a coal miner's black cloak on a moonless night. On a lunar eclipse. Underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Tempting after seeing this vid!

Hey, sweet bike but since you ride a dakar, I think the Tiger 800XC might be more your style. The bike looks amazing; however, the prices in Japan for these bikes is outrageous. Why are bikes here so expensive?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HdWHxGsVV3Q" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Coming from a video editor/photographer/movie maker......LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by NNW View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dimelo View Post
    Why are bikes here so expensive?
    It's all relative to the currency exchange. The same bike that was 1,000,000yen three years ago is still 1,000,000yen today. If you're earning in yen it makes no difference but if you're earning in $$$ it makes a huge difference.

If you're in the market for a used bike, prices now are lower than I've ever seen them when compared to what the bikes sold for new. Great time to pick up a low mileage, late model bike for a pitance of the cost to buy new. A lot of power inventory dealership's like U-Media have slashed prices in an effort to move inventory.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    It's all relative to the currency exchange. The same bike that was 1,000,000yen three years ago is still 1,000,000yen today. If you're earning in yen it makes no difference but if you're earning in $$$ it makes a huge difference.

If you're in the market for a used bike, prices now are lower than I've ever seen them when compared to what the bikes sold for new. Great time to pick up a low mileage, late model bike for a pitance of the cost to buy new. A lot of power inventory dealership's like U-Media have slashed prices in an effort to move inventory.

I understand about currency fluuctuation and exchange but even if both currencies were 1=1, brand new bikes here are way over priced. For example, the Price for the Tiger XC here is
    128.3万円 vs. US in the US2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC will cost $10,999( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/triumph-tiger-800-usa-price/). The ironic part is that even Japanese bikes are cheaper in the US than they are here. If you tell people in the US that brand new cadillacs are cheaper here than there, we would have riots for years to come. I honestly think this is not fair for people here specially now that many here are without jobs and some are earning very low wages.

For example, the Price for the Tiger XC here is [/SIZE][COLOR=#000000][CENTER][COLOR=#333333][FONT= ]128.3万円 vs. US in the US2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC[COLOR=#000000] will cost $10,999( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/triumph-tiger-800-usa-price/
    That is quite a discrepancy. Almost 25% of the cost of the vehicle itself. I like the look of the 800 Tiger, especially in comparison to the 800GS, because I want a 17" front and better suspension than what BMW offers, but I'm willing to wait to buy used and wait for the first year or two of reviews to come in.

Same thing with the 1200 Multi. Interesting bike but so much new technology I want to see how real riders rate it vs. just magazines.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Quote Originally Posted by NNW View Post
    I watched it full screen on youtube and was first mesmerized by the beauty of Greece, and Greek chicks... Then the power wheelies and slides from 2:46 snapped me out of my X-rated fantasy and the sound of that triple screaming in the top speed run at the end left me slobbering over my keyboard....

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    looks like a damn nice bike. how are you liking the Dakar in the rough? maybe you should sell the dakar and TDM and get the tiger and a small DS!
    The Dakar is fine on gravel and dirt roads, I'm not skilled enough to do more rigorous offroading on it though. The bigger Tiger would probably be more of a handful but still ok for dirt/gravel roads.

Hey, sweet bike but since you ride a dakar, I think the Tiger 800XC might be more your style. The bike looks amazing; however, the prices in Japan for these bikes is outrageous. Why are bikes here so expensive?
    US bike prices are the cheapest in the world, even Japanese bikes cost less there than here. And Triumphs are cheaper in the US than in the UK where they're made. But Triumph Japan still managed to undercut BMW's price for the F800GS by 140,000 yen.

The XC is sweet....

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai View Post
    That is quite a discrepancy. Almost 25% of the cost of the vehicle itself. I like the look of the 800 Tiger, especially in comparison to the 800GS, because I want a 17" front and better suspension than what BMW offers, but I'm willing to wait to buy used and wait for the first year or two of reviews to come in.

Same thing with the 1200 Multi. Interesting bike but so much new technology I want to see how real riders rate it vs. just magazines.
    The Tiger comes with a 19" wheel and the Tiger XC with a 21". The 1050 Tiger has a 17" though...

I think the reliability will be fine. The motor is derived from the proven 670 triple and Triumph doesn't use exotic new electronics like the Multi.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/tr...ger-800-review

Just make sure your expectations don't include the vivacity of a bigger capacity Street Triple... if they do, then you won't enjoy it, and if you weren't expecting that, still a little more sparkle from the motor would have improved the experience. Otherwise this is a fine motorcycle and a very real threat to the GS.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

I understand about currency fluuctuation and exchange but even if both currencies were 1=1, brand new bikes here are way over priced. For example, the Price for the Tiger XC here is
    128.3万円 vs. US in the US2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC will cost $10,999( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/triumph-tiger-800-usa-price/). The ironic part is that even Japanese bikes are cheaper in the US than they are here. If you tell people in the US that brand new cadillacs are cheaper here than there, we would have riots for years to come. I honestly think this is not fair for people here specially now that many here are without jobs and some are earning very low wages.
    I am by no means defending the pricing over here. It has been unbalanced for many years especially when you consider it going the other way in that the price of all Japanese goods sold in the U.S. should be rising significantly due to the current exchange rate but they are not. A lot of that has to do with the fact that many of their goods are now manufactured on U.S. soil but it mainly comes down to a high demand. Conversely, the price of U.S. goods sold in this country should also be falling but few are. So much for the Fair Trade Agreements between the U.S. and Japan.

Also, you use 1:1 as an example. 5 years ago the yen was trading as high as 125:1 U$D and in early 2002 was getting close to 140:1. At those rates it makes buying that 128.3万円 bike a little easier to digest.

I'm currently considering getting a new bike and at 80:1 it makes a lot of sense to buy one in the U.S. and have it shipped here. Even after you add in the cost of shipping, import tax and homologation you stand to save somewhere in the neighborhood of about 6,000 U$D on a full dress touring bike. Add to that the fact that I plan to pick the bike up myself on the East Coast and ride it to the West Coast for shipping, it's becoming more and more a reality in my mind. Now I just need to convince the wife that it's the right thing to do

Good bye GS and hello DP, aka cheap aka the Tiger will just be another regret in time, as are all bikes.......................
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Jim you have to get the XC I reckon. Its a great looking bike and and completely beyond anything they have done before.

I do think its very GS looking (in a good way) but still very Triumph.

I think the TDM found a new successor. Pricing (relative to the BMW) seems spot on too.

I agree bikes are expensive in Japan, but so is everything else.

I take everything he says with a grain of salt ... especially when it comes to DPs. Look at the shite review he gave the Super Tenere and the Ozzies that ride it like it was designed to be ridden love it! I suspect the same result for the Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Good bye GS and hello DP, aka cheap aka the Tiger will just be another regret in time, as are all bikes.......................
    I think I need a few more shots before I can fully comprehend this

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I take everything he says with a grain of salt ... especially when it comes to DPs. Look at the shite review he gave the Super Tenere and the Ozzies that ride it like it was designed to be ridden love it! I suspect the same result for the Tiger.
    Ash has a very definite reputation in the UK for being sensationalist and/or talking bollocks. Other people think he is great of course. However that was actually one of his more balanced reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    I am by no means defending the pricing over here. It has been unbalanced for many years especially when you consider it going the other way in that the price of all Japanese goods sold in the U.S. should be rising significantly due to the current exchange rate but they are not. A lot of that has to do with the fact that many of their goods are now manufactured on U.S. soil but it mainly comes down to a high demand. Conversely, the price of U.S. goods sold in this country should also be falling but few are. So much for the Fair Trade Agreements between the U.S. and Japan.

Also, you use 1:1 as an example. 5 years ago the yen was trading as high as 125:1 U$D and in early 2002 was getting close to 140:1. At those rates it makes buying that 128.3万円 bike a little easier to digest.

I'm currently considering getting a new bike and at 80:1 it makes a lot of sense to buy one in the U.S. and have it shipped here. Even after you add in the cost of shipping, import tax and homologation you stand to save somewhere in the neighborhood of about 6,000 U$D on a full dress touring bike. Add to that the fact that I plan to pick the bike up myself on the East Coast and ride it to the West Coast for shipping, it's becoming more and more a reality in my mind. Now I just need to convince the wife that it's the right thing to do
    I see your point and I agree with you. I also remember those years when the dollar had some steam; however, spending has become an intricate activity in this economy. I have also thought many times to buy a motorcycle back home and bring it here but desire has not hit me hard enough. I wish the motorcycle concession on base would sale something other than Harleys. I like Harleys but variety is the spice of life. I wish the price was a little lower on the tiger XC because even my wife liked it. She does not like motorcycles much but when she saw the XC all she said was “kakkoii”. Anyway, I can dream: it’s free!

On another note, I went to surf at Shichirigahama today and I am glad that I have my little Sherpa to squeeze through Shonan; others were not as luck. That’s the why I would not like to part from this bike; nevertheless, long trips are out of the way.

[QUOTE=Twinrider;78333]Tempting after seeing this vid!

I think you should buy it. The only problem will be dudes looking at you all the time; well, not at you but the bike. It is a nice bike and I have not seen many around here. I see more Bentlys around here than Triumphs. Oh, once you get it, you got to take it for a good spin.