Thread: Emergency preparedness

Default Emergency preparedness

Call me paranoid, but I have been thinking for some time, that in this natural
    disaster stricken, awesome country, that I do not feel very confident that
    my family could survive for long were a major disaster to occur.

For one, most houses do not have any water tanks so rely on mains pressure.
    No power backup. Food is handled in stores on a JIT basis, or close to it.

I hear all the time on AFN about disaster preparedness, maybe now I will listen.

Once this current disaster is over, I plan to make good on putting a family plan
    into action.

Will post up details when finalized.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Big one, that I've been lax on, is making sure that kids have their foreign passports sorted, and that spouses have residency permission if possible. This makes it easier to get embassy assistance with getting out of the country if necessary. Getting right on that once things settle down... not looking forward to the mountain of paperwork.

I hear you Jav mate. We've made really half-hearted preparations. We have some food set aside (nowhere near enough), a few cases of water, gas canisters and camping cooker, but not much else. Recently I bought a third 18liter oil can and I try to keep at least one full at all times. We also have one non-electric oil heater. I still feel under-prepared though. I would like to have enough supplies to last comfortably for a couple of weeks at least. My wife thinks all we'll need is enough for a couple of days, but I don't feel right about that.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

I just made sure that all of our bicycles were in good working shape. Lord knows if we need to get out of here and get to a military installation, bicycle may be better than a vehicle.

For those with families, there should be a lot of "what if..." plans hatched out should an emergency occur at any time during the day.

I've always had the 5-10 day food supply ready with canned food items, but seeing the destruction up north, do I need to get more? What happens if your house is gone?

If it's bad, our plan is to get to Yokota to hopefully get the wife and kids on a plane out of here. (Bad meaning it'll be more than a week to restore life back to normal)

I think after 3-5 days, this would be a much different place (Tokyo) as it'll be about survival.

Dana
    A man will marry a woman hoping she never changes but a woman will marry a man hoping he will change. Author Unknown

2010 Yamaha WR250X
    2008 CBR1000RR Race Bike (For Sale)
    2004 Multistrada 1000DS (For Sale)

People will start selling their excess gas cans on auction soon, if not now IMHO. Just checked and there are lots available.

What I plan to do, to cover future emergencies, is purchase a few truck tanks ( 200L to 300L ) and mount them in a well shaded
    ventilated area. One for diesel and one for gasoline. Use an external electric fuel pump for loading and unloading fuel. Cycle fuel
    through it as i need it and top up from time to time. Will not be stored at my house.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Buy the cans and then sell them during the next big emergency.....which should be any day now after the fucking big shake we had here in Ibaraki this morning.
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantofmenace View Post
    Buy the cans and then sell them during the next big emergency.....which should be any day now after the fucking big shake we had here in Ibaraki this morning.
    Saw one on auction for 90,000en.............. 20L

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Saw one on auction for 90,000en.............. 20L
    Still got my IMS 16.9Li DRZ400SM touring tank available.....priced to sell at ¥150,000. Will throw in the gas cap for free!
    Trendsetter. Luddite.

I'm keeping enough food and water to last a couple weeks, two weeks worth of LPG gas canisters for cooking, LED flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, a full tank of gas in the van if I need to do a runner, and about 80 liters of stored gas for the TDM for commuting. I'm not too worried about heating oil as it never gets cold enough around here to be a survival issue, but I may pick up a non-electric kerosene heater anyhow.

Edit: FEMA has a good web page on putting together a survival kit: http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/asse...plies_kit.shtm
    Last edited by Twinrider; 24-03-11 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    People will start selling their excess gas cans on auction soon, if not now IMHO. Just checked and there are lots available.

What I plan to do, to cover future emergencies, is purchase a few truck tanks ( 200L to 300L ) and mount them in a well shaded
    ventilated area. One for diesel and one for gasoline. Use an external electric fuel pump for loading and unloading fuel. Cycle fuel
    through it as i need it and top up from time to time. Will not be stored at my house.

There is a law against storing more than 100L of gasoline at a time, I think you have to call the fire department over and have them certify whatever setup you have going on before they give the ok to have the tanks on your property. Let us know when you get everything installed and Jav's Gas 'n Go is up and running, we might make a pitstop over there!

Quote Originally Posted by waruta View Post
    There is a law against storing more than 100L of gasoline at a time, I think you have to call the fire department over and have them certify whatever setup you have going on before they give the ok to have the tanks on your property. Let us know when you get everything installed and Jav's Gas 'n Go is up and running, we might make a pitstop over there!
    There are many laws........... I have close to 100L at any time in my bikes............ mustang will eventually have a 120L tank...........
    That said, the truck tank is designed for fuel, is steel and will be properly mounted and protected. I see no issue with getting it approved.

My plan is to crash at Jav's house.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I'm keeping enough food and water to last a couple weeks, two weeks worth of LPG gas canisters for cooking, LED flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, a full tank of gas in the van if I need to do a runner, and about 80 liters of stored gas for the TDM for commuting.
    Does gasoline go bad if you store it for a long time? I thought that is why you are supposed to drain your carbs and tank over the winter.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Does gasoline go bad if you store it for a long time? I thought that is why you are supposed to drain your carbs and tank over the winter.
    No need to drain tank and carbs over winter. Maybe if not using the bike for a year or more.

Just last week used fuel that was 2 years old, in a turbo car and even flogging the engine there
    was no issue. This is just my opinion: If the fuel is stored in a full, fully sealed container, then it it most
    likely fine for up to two years or more. The key being, as little oxygen/air in the container and it being
    SEALED, not vented.
    Last edited by Jav; 24-03-11 at 11:52 PM.

can gas go bad? Yes

Will a full tank of gas go bad in a few months or year? No if you keep it full and use a stabilizer in it it will be good for a very long time. I have stored gas for many years before using it and never had any issues, but I always use stabilizer in it.

Bad gas bad gas what you going to do........
    The first thing men notice about a woman is her eyes. Then, when her eyes aren't looking, they notice her breasts.
    -- Conan OBrien

16. Default

It also depends on the initial quality of the gas. If properly maintained (in the tank) fuel can last a very long time. Diesel even more so. Jav for your tank idea ensure that there is a bung on the bottom to attach a butterfly valve to to drain water and sediment. This "falls" out of all fuel. If you do this regularly the fuel can last ages! For 9 years in the AF I was in Fuels. And for the last 4 before I left from Yokota I was the NCOIC of compliance. I know fuel! haha Stabilizers are good in the event you cannot "maintain" the tank with drain offs. FYI with our Jet Fuel trucks we did the draining every other day through the rotation of trucks that were in service. For the ground fuels aka Diesel and Mogas, we drained them weekly. And I never in 9 years ever saw a truck not drain water. Sometimes it was minor amount like a liter per 12,000L But some I had seen larger amounts. You could never know.