Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XR1200x - Javs stable

Installed the Termignoni on Saturday. Sounds awesome!! Still waiting for the Thundermax.................. grrr

Not my bike but they look like this.

Frank has these

Will be interesting to see if there is any sound difference.

The muffler has a strap and one spring to hold it on. Pretty loose really. So I used
    a pipe clamp on the end of the muffler and it is now much more solidly mounted.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    The muffler has a strap and one spring to hold it on. Pretty loose really. So I used
    a pipe clamp on the end of the muffler and it is now much more solidly mounted.
    I had the same problem. After the first ride I noticed the mufflers moved and were no longer aligned. Marutomi welded on some new tabs and installed a few extra springs. I would have never noticed what they did if they didn't point it out. Seems to be working in keeping the mufflers in place.

I'm curous to hear yours as well. The Hot Bike Comparo of last year lists the Two Can System as being louder by two or three db.

Thanks for that information. Might ask them to do the same with mine. The springs would be better, easier to install remove.
    I'm liking this bike more and more.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Thanks for that information. Might ask them to do the same with mine. The springs would be better, easier to install remove.
    I'm liking this bike more and more.
    I'm sure Marutomi would hook you right up.

The XR truely is a pleasure to ride and I still get a big grin everytime I throw a leg over it. I managed a few 500+ Km days on it last year and wasn't completely spent afterwards.

Next up for me is higher quality Foot Controls.

Jav, When do we get to see some pics with the new exhaust? Or better yet when do we get to see it on the road with the new exhaust and tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Jav, When do we get to see some pics with the new exhaust? Or better yet when do we get to see it on the road with the new exhaust and tuner?
    Installed the T Max today, but not tuned it up yet. This weekend and next weekend I have business trips so will have to be 24th or after.
    Have you decided what rear sets you are going to get?

Installed the T Max today, but not tuned it up yet. This weekend and next weekend I have business trips so will have to be 24th or after.
    Have you decided what rear sets you are going to get?
    I should be good a for a 24th blast. I'm leaving town again myself on the 30th and will be gone the entire month of May : (

For the rearsets, below is the site I was telling you about that had what appears to be a pretty good deal except that they don't have a provision for a brake light switch. Seems simple enough to overcome as I'm pretty sure Storz Performance offers the Master Cylinder Relocation Kit as a separate part from their Kit and should allow you to retain the Stock Switch Configuration. Still researching:

http://cjmoto.com/-strse-438/Accossa...-XR/Detail.bok

After the Twisty Butt run, decided a more comfortable seat was a must. So the stocker will be relaced with this

Also wanting new tyres but not for the 18" wheel, so ordered some 17"wheels
    saving around 8kgs over stock. They say each pound of unsprung weight reduced
    is worth 4 sprung pounds............

Nice looking bike. I'm not a fan of Milwaukee twins, but that is definitely a looker. I prefer the look of your pipes too (sorry Frank).

I agree with what you are saying about unsprung weight being good, but I think the 1:4 ratio concerns rotating mass.

Unsprung mass is a strange thing to think about. It is actually reducing the unsprung to sprung mass ratio, that improves suspension performance.

Your lighter wheels will be pushed down more consistently against the rest of the bike which tends to stay where it is, because of inertia.

Are you a gentle breakin person, or do you give it the beans from the outset to bed in the rings?

Fast oil changes at the start are a good idea.

A black sheepskin cover might give you the plush you are looking for!

I had a few friends who babied their engines during break in and they were sluggish forever.
    Personally, i go the Moto-man approach with frequent oil changes. I don't ride so much on the
    street so an oil change every 1500kms or so is once a year ............. shame shame shame

The wheels are more for improvement in speed of turn in. The XR can be a handful to shuffle
    fast from turn to turn. Looks like Harris will only accept bank transfers so might
    have to go with the Marchesini that TR suggested.

Nice shot of Ohins on an XR

Ordered from motoryclemetal tonight. Ohlins R&T front forks setup to my spec.
    Custom triples with a tad less rake for quicker steering. Radial Brembo caliper mounts.

Still waiting on TwinMotorcycles to confirm on the wheels.

Should be much faster steering when these mods are done. Then the rear is next....

Christmas in June! Please let me know how it goes with Twin Cycle. I emailed them about their special order wheels two weeks ago and never received a reply. It's a shame there aren't more out there to choose from. The V&H wheels weigh nearly as much as the stockers yet cost nearly the same as the ones from TC. Nothing to gain there.

Wow! That's a box full of lovelies.

Can't wait to hear your impressions when it's all done.

What are you doing with the old USD forks?
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

A vision of beauty in gold.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Lookin' good Jav.

You know, Ohlins makes black forks, too, if you want to keep the black color scheme intact. There are also places in Japan that will anodize and coat the gold fork bits to make them black.

Or, you could just keep them gold to show off the fact that you're packing Ohlins!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Christmas in June! Please let me know how it goes with Twin Cycle. I emailed them about their special order wheels two weeks ago and never received a reply. It's a shame there aren't more out there to choose from. The V&H wheels weigh nearly as much as the stockers yet cost nearly the same as the ones from TC. Nothing to gain there.
    Dris replied pretty quickly and then Martin provided a quote. They offered a discount so i decided to order, but now
    like you, no reply................

Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    Wow! That's a box full of lovelies.

Can't wait to hear your impressions when it's all done.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by waruta View Post
    What are you doing with the old USD forks?
    The plan is maybe put them on the front of the Nighttrain. They will not be wasted...