Thread: Lost the keys for my motor scooter

Default Lost the keys for my motor scooter

I have a Honda Lead that I have lost or misplaced the keys for. I suspect that the keys are locked under the seat. Having visited my local Honda dealer he said that they could get me a new key for 15,000. This involves replacing the starter and getting a new set of keys for it.

Would any of you guys know a simpler or cheaper way of handling this? For starters an easy way of opening the lock for the seat to check if the keys are there. Failing this, would it be possible to get a new set direct from Honda, without having to go through the process of replacing the starter?

You could try a locksmith. That would probably be cheaper than a Honda dealer.
    FEAR THE MONKEY!

Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

Default Lost the keys for my motor scooter

What I would be looking at doing first is just getting the seat unlocked so that I can check inside. Any other hints on how this can be done simply?

billy-jay, thanks for the tip on the locksmith. This has been my first avenue to take, but getting the local Mr. Mint guy to come out of his cage and check things out is a big ask. He was worried about “possible” legal repercolations, …etc.

ni-kito, thank you for the URL’s. This is looking to be my most likely line to take. I just don’t want to go to all the trouble of buying the parts, getting the bike picked up and then finding that the key is sitting under the seat.

Drive a screwdriver into the seat lock and pop the seat open.

Easier to replace that lock than the ignition switch.... if the keys aren't there, then you can always go to a wrecking yard and get a replacement ignition switch and key.

Don't forget to get the seat lock while you are at it.

hD
    Hoosier Daddy

"What do I ride? Oh, CBRs, R1s, 955is,... just about anything I can get my hands on... Except Gixxers, I hate Gixxers. You couldn't give me one of those #@*!~%^& bastards." paraphrasing Barbarosa

An axe or sledge hammer swung willingly, should do it.................. ;)

Faling that you could try pick it or find a similarly sized key and force
    the lock.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Jav
    An axe or sledge hammer swung willingly, should do it.................. ;)

Faling that you could try pick it or find a similarly sized key and force
    the lock.

Jav
    Have you tried asking the owner if you could borrow his keys :badgrin:

Seriously though, I would check with a Honda dealer to see if and how much they would charge to make you a new key. Basically bring your registration papers, the exact make, model and year of the scoot as well as any markings such as a serial number or something if available on the ignition lock along to the Honda dealer. I heard somewhere that this kind of thing should only cost a few thousand yen, since i don't believe your key has a built-in immobilizer chip in it.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Lost the keys for my motor scooter

Quote Originally Posted by okusawa
    What I would be looking at doing first is just getting the seat unlocked so that I can check inside. Any other hints on how this can be done simply?.
    If it were mine, I'd go to a dealer and find a scooter of the same make and model, and ask the dealer for the keys to check the size of the storage area under seat. I would then take a careful look at the locking and release mechanism for vulnerabilities that you may be able to exploit. Something like a way to bend the seat so you can reach in to relase the catch, a cable you can pull, or a hole you could stick a screw driver in to pop the catch.

I found out how to open my pilion seat without a key by reading a forum specificaly about my bike. Of course, I've never locked the key in my bike so the information was of no use. I did lose my keys in my riding partners pants once though... Think it was girl or a guy?
    Don't Panic

Default Re: Lost the keys for my motor scooter

Quote Originally Posted by throttle
    . . . . I did lose my keys in my riding partners pants once though... Think it was girl or a guy?
    I've been in Thailand long enough now that, even to try to answer your question with a chance at getting the answer right, I realize I would first need to ask, which are you?

I would think the cylinder is mounted on plastic and you'd risk breaking the plastic before you shear the tumblers with the bang in a flat screw driver and turn method.

I'm guessing your registration papers are in the underseat cargo compartment too? :(
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde

On most bikes if you remove the ignition there is a # stamped on the back where the wires go in, this is the key code and the bike shop should be able to order or make the correct key from that.

I lost my keys for my honda cb 400 and I got a locksmith to come out, 40mins later he had a key, cost was 8,000 yen.
    If I medicined you you'd think a brain tumour was a birthday present.

Thank you for your advice, and I must admit the axe was tempting. I did manage to get it open and there was no key inside, but the ownership papers were still there.

Ni-kito: I did buy a new set of locks and keys for 1,900 yen. As my bike was pre 1990 I had to make sure that it was the 4 pin variety as opposed to post 1990 which is the 5 pin variety.

Just waiting to take delivery and then I shall have them installed.

Many thanks.

this happened to me, various people told me they'd need to drill the lock out, or take all the faring off to get to the cable. But the best option is to lift the seat as best as possble there is quite a bit of give. Insert a small crowbar or very strong slim metal bar that cannot bend and insert it into the gap between the seat and the body and push down real hard. The seat came open so quickly it slammed back down again and locked. I repeated it and sure enough the seat opened again. The lock has not broken and the seat lock still works.

There is a slight interior damage to the plastic lining of the seat and a small dent on the frame of the seat inside, but this is invisible when the seat is locked. Good luck

I once pried open a friend's Dio by reaching in and slowly loosening the bolt holding the seat to the hinge.
    Last edited by heng47; 10-04-11 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I failed spelling.