Thread: Michelin PR3 is a POS

Default Michelin PR3 is a POS

I've been running (first and last time) a PR3 front tire on my FJR for the past 5 weeks, unfortunately that's how long it took to trash this tire
    It was toast at around 5,100 km, but given how ridiculously expensive tires are over here (one FR costs about the same as a full set in the US), I wanted to see if I could squeeze another ride out of this POS PR3 Front. Had I known how uncomfortable this short 389 km ride would be I would not have bothered. The damn tire was slipping and sliding a number of times on dry, warm roads, and equally badly on the LHS where it still had some tread left.
    The other weird thing is that the tire felt like it was made out of wood, translating every little bump and road imperfection into the bars/steering.
    Notice the trapezoidal wear, makes for very hard and unpleasant quick transitions such as you'd find riding Touges. Also the excessive scalloping.

Stay away from the PR3 front! Looks like it's back to the PR2s for the FJR.

The PR3 rear is not looking too good either, although it's newer, but I doubt it will last nearly as long as a PR2 rear would under the same conditions/use. The rear too, is showing a lot of scalloping particularly along the thin slits.

Here are some pics, this tire only has 5,500 km on it.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Yep, definitely an old fart safety rider's tyre.

The day they build a tyre that can stand up to 10,000km of the JamesK and FJR tag team while still putting in a reasonable performance till the end will be the day that tyre manufacturers realize we need tyres to last longer than a motoGP!

That should read: Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, anyone in the motorcycle rubber business, do you need a real world tester? His name's JamesK. He's always wearing out rubbers, constantly going bald and forever in search of twisted shit! He's your man!
    IBA33490

Looking at that you need to do more straight line Ironbutts...time to plan your route's better..

Is the PR3 one of those tires where the edges are a softer kind of rubber than the middle? Supposed to be good for traction in the twisties. I had a set of Bridgestones like that and they wore out a lot faster than I expected.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

James ....make me a decent offer and you can take my PR2's (only done 300kms) off the Triumph....I gotta get back to Pirelli's .....

Dont blame the tires mate, just work on your technique!

Quote Originally Posted by englishrob View Post
    James ....make me a decent offer and you can take my PR2's (only done 300kms) off the Triumph....I gotta get back to Pirelli's .....
    Rob, will contact you tonight about the sizes and price.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin