Thread: Thought on Honda CBX750 Bol D'or

Default Thought on Honda CBX750 Bol D'or

I'm lusting after something more tour happy than my Ducati Junior.

I've been looking at a Honda CBX750 Bol D'or and I can't fault it.

OK. It's very old school.

Bit isn't it the pinnacle of the touring UJM?

Why don't I want one of these? Useable power, wide seat, fairing, upright position. Powerful twin lights.

OK the alternator chains are suspect in high milers. But they are strong apart from that.

What else is like this?

Am I mad?

Neat looking bikes. I rode one once, don't remember much except how old school it felt compared to the VFR800 I was riding at the time. Those bikes are very long in the tooth so even if the motors are strong there will be lots of rubber bits, hoses, etc., that will likely needing replacement. Here's an inexpensive one on Yahoo auction with shaken.
    http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...185#enlargeimg

If you're thinking old school tourers you might want to take a look at FJR1200s. Here's a nice one with Krauser bags. http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...797#enlargeimg

Honda ST1100 Pan European. Cream of the crop of old school touring bikes. Made until 2002 so parts aren't a problem, beautiful V4 motor and all-day comfort.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b120443666

Had a 900 Bol D'or. Beautiful bike and loved the 6000 to 9000 power band, but the wheels were two piece riveted and
    well know for coming apart. After two years with the 900 sure enough i experienced the same issue. At that time it was
    not cheap to get replacement wheels. Would not buy a bike with riveted wheels. They are dangerous.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Twinrider, that was exactly the bike I was looking at. Seems like most of the seals ect are available, and there were lots made so plenty of used parts about.
    The FJ and the ST1100 just seem gargantuan.

Jav I hear you on the wheels, 16 incher on the front as well.

I found this guy in Ireland who claims that an early CBR400 Super Aero front wheel slots straight in, and a CBR1000F swing arm is a trivial replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8EiW1QSJA

Would that give me shaken problems?

Is this a worthwhile endeavour? I could get modern rubber on it by the above methods, or perhaps a front end swap as well to "modern up" the bouncy bits.

It's so cheap I could keep Junior as well!

Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    Twinrider, that was exactly the bike I was looking at. Seems like most of the seals ect are available, and there were lots made so plenty of used parts about.
    The FJ and the ST1100 just seem gargantuan.

Jav I hear you on the wheels, 16 incher on the front as well.

I found this guy in Ireland who claims that an early CBR400 Super Aero front wheel slots straight in, and a CBR1000F swing arm is a trivial replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8EiW1QSJA

Would that give me shaken problems?

Is this a worthwhile endeavour? I could get modern rubber on it by the above methods, or perhaps a front end swap as well to "modern up" the bouncy bits.

It's so cheap I could keep Junior as well!
    I've owned bargain bikes before whose costs mounted rapidly as I found and sorted one problem after another.... Just something to think about.

I haven't ridden an FJ1200 but I owned an ST1100 and it was a very nimble bike because of the longitudinal V4 engine layout and the fact that much of the gas tank was under the seat. It felt very much like a bigger, more comfortable version of the VFR800 that I also owned. 28 liter tank gave it a huge range, lane-splitting was easier with the integrated panniers, wind protection and headlights were very good, and shaft drive made it very easy in terms of maintenance.

Speaking of the CBR1000F, they are also inexpensive and more modern and powerful than the Boldor.

I hear you about money pit bikes, it just seems that this kind of "Euro" middleweight tourer, isn't made any more. There was also a shaft drive CBX and a twin shock version. The CBX was a kind of stopgap when they had all of the camchain problems on the VF series , before they developed the VFR.

It was also at that time that the 700cc tax was put on imports to the states, so the US market got a watered down short stroked version.

Maybe I'm remembering through rose colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    I hear you about money pit bikes, it just seems that this kind of "Euro" middleweight tourer, isn't made any more.
    The bigger bikes from the '90s on are much better handling than their ancestors were. You'd have no problem touring the twisties on one.

I think the middleweight tourer has shifted to the advbike genre: TDM, GS, etc. The ST2 or VFR might fit the bill as well if you don't mind the lower handlebars/higher footpegs.

I think there's better options out there than the CBX unless you really wanted that model.

FJ12 is one heavy bike- only if you're really touring on highways. It'll be a pig for in town riding.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

I don't know what you want to spend but a 1000cc FZ-1 (carb version) is pretty reasonable these days, a great touring bike with luggage, and a great engine with decent suspension. If you want, I can sell you my slightly used Penske shock too.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

How about a XJR1200/1300? Jeanroule has one, how does he like it I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco View Post
    Hell bill I will be your wife

I've got an fj 1200... love it... nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by gordthebiker250 View Post
    How about a XJR1200/1300? Jeanroule has one, how does he like it I wonder?
    Yep, I have a '95 XJR1200 , bought from fastbike with 9000km on the clock and done some 1500km with it. I will use this one to take me to SLY and then also to explore the Japanese countryside.

The bike is now with a topcase; sidepacks and screen to follow. When it comes to value for money I'd say it is hard to beat. I had a CB750Bol d'or and in a way the bikes are similar, with the Yamaha being more modern ofcourse. Suspension on the XJR is weak but as I use it mainly for highway blasts to SLY, I don't care.
    This bike is a lot more dependable than the older big ones and easier to ride.

I'd pick the XJR over the CB anytime, it is from a newer generation and prices are very reasonable. I would only prefer the CB if I wanted to make a statement "look I am old school".

J.

The XJR1200R has a decent fairing.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

yuck....

I hade something more modest in mind :-)

Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01955.jpg   DSC01953.jpg  

Yes, is that yours? Maybe better we start PM'ing , don't want to hijack this thread.

Sold it last year.

You can get one at 2rinkan or Ricoland. Sure Bob doesn't mind, it's all useful touring bike related info.

Bob, how about a zxr1100/1200? Has lots of old school appeal but without the headaches.

Hijack away...

This time tomorrow I may be the owner of something completely different.

I think the CBX is a very underestimated bike. It even had a race kit and was campaigned at the Suzuka 8 hour in 85, After the horror of the cam chain and head disaster of the VF750 it was a stop gap before the VFR750 came out. It took a long time before riders would trust Hondas without gear driven cams. If you compare it to the early VFR's I think the CBX at the time was superior. 6 gears, very adjustable suspension and anti dive, and a rev monster, shorter stroke than the "V's". The "X" made it special.

I know it's really old school, but I think it was a very definitive model.