Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FJR: 1 - Deer: 0

Default FJR: 1 - Deer: 0

Well, I finally managed to snag me a deer, have been trying for a while now

I went for a night ride on Wed night, doing the usual route, R70, 64, 517, 518, 76 to Uenohara, then R139 and R411 from Okutama to Enzan. The weather was great and the roads were dry and generally clean. The night out was uneventful, at least not until towards the end of the ride...

I have ridden these roads at night a number of times, so was paying attention to forest rats up in the wilderness areas as always. I was almost done with my ride, heading downhill on R411 coming into Enzan, just before the first few houses start (before the last two hairpin corners) when I suddenly see something flying over the guard rail right in front of me. From what I can gather there is a drop off on the other side of the guard rail so this forest rat would have been making a running start in order to jump over the rail, I think this is the reason my usual countermeasures proved ineffective this time, the stupid thing was already airborne, at speed and committed to the move.

Based on the damage to the bike, the fact that I did a hard counter-steering maneuver and the forensic evidence left behind I am guessing that I first made contact with it's head (as it was in the process of landing) hitting it with the front left corner of my bike, just below the big Soltek HID aux lights. As you can see there is a fine crack in the nose cowl with a small clump of deer hair stuck in it and the winker is a little pushed in.

The bike was quickly transitioning to the right but still at an angle and banked over to the right, which brought up the LHS slider with the big, solid and heavy Harley Davidson highway peg hanging out of it. The hwy peg hit the forest rat right in the kisser, with enough force to sheer the Delrin slider (with the peg still in it) clean off.

Since the deer was still mostly in the air that impact swung it around and into my LHS side case. The combination of the weight of the deer’s body and my speed (which I would guess was around 50-60 kph at the time since I was really just winding down already as this is a straight bit of the road) sheered the rear mounting hook off the side case pushing the case into the plastic tail section, just below the GIVI topbox. Based on the dent in the top part of the LHS slip-on and the fact that the “contact patch” was clean and shiny of dirt coupled with again some deer hair stuck trapped under the support strap leads me to believe that it was caused by the deer's body, since the side case ended up sliding down the road on its lid as evidenced by the damage pattern. For the same reason I think that the part of the rear fender was broken off by the deer’s carcass too as it was making it's way along the side of the bike.

The pretty hard jolt I felt towards the back of the bike (since the front was leaning and pointing hard to the right due to the counter steering maneuver) which rather abruptly snapped me back into a staightish line albeit with a bit of a weave before the bike settled would have been from the deer’s body causing the above mentioned impacts.

I'm consoled by the fact that at least I killed that POS forest rat , after I stopped, and quickly checked over the bike, grabbed a flash light and walked back to checkout the deer and and look for parts of my bike. I could see the deer convulsing for about a minute or so before going completely still. That HD hwy peg did a good job!

After examining the bike for damage I strapped the side case to the back seat and hopped on the Chuo for the 100+ km ride home. It's a shame that I needed to use the rear seat to carry the busted side case, because that forest rat looks big enough for at least a couple of months worth of deer stakes

I count myself extremely lucky having escaped with no injuries, managing to keep the rubber side down and the FJR having comparatively little damage, at least in light of what could have been. This POS rat was airborne (high enough to clear the guard rail) so if I had have hit it head on it would likely have bounced off the top part of the bike and gone straight into me.

Another big thank you goes out to my copilot.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Glad you're ok!

Should've bungied the deer to your bike and hauled it home, would've fed your family for a week.

Nice job coming through that with no injuries!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Glad to hear you are ok, must of been a helluva scare at night. Venison....mmmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Glad you are ok and the bike relatively unscathed. Could have been much worse, have seen huge
    bucks out that way. .
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

bambi and red wine,NICE!

What speed did you hit at? Glad your good to go! I hear that Okutama place can be dangerous anytime of the day! ;-)

WOW - Nice job keeping the bike up and coming out relatively unscathed. Now we got 2 deer killers in the group. You guys should get a special patch or something to sow on your jackets.

I have a few ideas for ya:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer-3-Way.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	6789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	6790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images3.jpg 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	6791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheDeerHunter.jpg 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	6792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6696_2.JPG 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	6793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	6794

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

The guys on the FJR Forum use this icon in their signature, since unfortunately there are more than enough FJRs that have come in contact with these dirty, good for nothing forest rats. Here is a really good way to think about it (plagiarized from the FJR Forum)

I just remind myself, there's plenty of room for all of God's Creatures.....right next to the Mashed Potatoes.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Can you tell a nice Jewish boy who is that nice lady whose photo is on your bike? Is she the patron saint of bikers?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    It's a shame that I needed to use the rear seat to carry the busted side case, because that forest rat looks big enough for at least a couple of months worth of deer stakes
    You should have just carried the beast home like this:

Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 10-06-11 at 11:09 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Yeah, despite clearly posted deer crossing signs all over the roads, these stupid animals persist in jaywalking wherever they please!
    Egon

Time flies like an arrow ... fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    You should have just carried the beast home like this:
    Hotlinking pictures is usually frowned upon...thus the blank pic. Just FYI

Looking at your rear tire maybe its time to take the speed to the track... Next time that might be a kid jumping out...

Glad you're OK, J - a deer that size can total a car.

Wow James, I bet that got your heart beating. Glad to hear you are OK, even though your bike picked up a few battle scars.

That's bad luck mate, but it's good that you're not injured. Sorry about the damage to the bike though.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)