Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a computer in Japan....

I went out and got the Toshiba Qosmio...... 1.8ghz Centrino, 512 megs, DVD RW, 17" screen, 802.11 b/g, .......thing has more gizmo's and gadgets than I need, but the price was very good so......

thanks for the help folks..... :mrgreen:

Toshiba make great laptops. Good choice.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Default Dospara

I recently saw this thread AFTER I bought a PC in Japan and registered just to make this comment:

AVOID DOSPARA LIKE THE PLAGUE. Read on if you really need a reason why my experience, at least, was horrible.

I ordered a rig from them and while new, it was defective. Thing is, I understand that new computers can have problems that quality control doesn't always catch so I called them, they picked it up, and "fixed" it. So far, so good. When it came back, though, I noticed that it was the same unit--okay, whatever, I told them it was probably a hardware problem considering the unit was BRAND NEW--but it also literally would not start AGAIN. And before you ask, no, there are no peripherals attached, no new software installed. The problem is NOT on my end. So whatever component they replaced was not the problem, and yet they still returned it to me even though it literally would to start up?

Here's where I am now: they still refuse to just fucking REPLACE the unit with a different one of the same model or just refund my money--instead, they are going to "fix" it again--yeah, the exact same unit--and then if THAT one doesn't work, then they will refund my money.

One more twist:when they return the unit to me, there will be a tech present to look over my shoulder to make sure it works, which is fucking insane. I have literally wasted a month of time with this company and their shitty service. Even if the PC works, the taste is so sour in my mouth that I don't even want the damn thing. Even if it does start up, I have no confidence in it and DON'T WANT A COMPUTER THAT HAS BEEN REPAIRED THREE TIMES IN LESS THAN A MONTH.

I have lived in Japan for ten years, speak Japanese, and have only had a few negative experiences as far as being treated by customer service in any way, let alone one that has made me feel like complete garbage. I have no proof but I really get the feeling that this is because I'm a foreigner.

Fuck you Dospara, and I hope my two cents here can prevent one poor sap from being talked down to and shit upon by your company.

Default Buying a computer in Japan....

So you register yourself on a motorcycle forum just to rant about a PC you bought?
    I bought my PC there 5 years ago. Had no problems at all with that so far.

What kind of bike do you ride btw?

what was the actual technical problem with the machine?

Sorry to hear about your experience. I bought at least 3 computers from there. No problems & good bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok,

I've been in Japan 16 years and have experience with the PC market - both desktop and laptop.

There are several stores in Akihabara that sell US/EU machines with English OS both new and Refurbished - these are normally ACER, HP, IBM, ASUS and the likes, as for software most places now allow you to buy an OS as an OEM product if you purchase memory, HDD or CPU as well as a complete PC and this can reduce the cost of an OS to as little as $100 USD. Most of the staff in the shops speak english and if you are lucky you might be able to get it tax free.

The issue is though hunting down those shops - The other method that I have used is buying a Acer new with Japanese OS and then going on ebay and replacing the keyboard with an english version - they pop out and have a single cable ribbon that you just connect, I then installed a copy of Windows that I had previously purchased - very easy and hassle free.

However probably right now the easiest way is to purchase in the US you'll have a lot more selection and probably get a better deal - do not bother with an international warranty if they offer it as you'll be on US soil and 90% of the time they never actually honor it (Several of my work colleagues have had issues claiming on them).

At the risk of getting flamed. . .
    I have bought Lenovo laptops with ENG operating systems and U.S. keyboards by ordering online in Japan and taking delivery in Japan.
    I have also bought laptops at the Apple Store in Japan with U.S. keyboards.
    No problems with either.
    (I am not a computer expert. Nor in the service.)

Well, I'm looking to buy a desktop computer. Just the tower but customized (SSD, high RAM, i7, etc, and without OS, OD,...). The usual manufacturers don't allow this sort of thing.

Anyone knows of a reliable shop in Nagoya or online?

Thank you all.
    CRF250

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Well, I'm looking to buy a desktop computer. Just the tower but customized (SSD, high RAM, i7, etc, and without OS, OD,...). The usual manufacturers don't allow this sort of thing.

Anyone knows of a reliable shop in Nagoya or online?

Thank you all.
    No computer mfg will sell a computer w/ no os. Your best bet since you want something custom is to build it yourself. And that's a price of cake.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Yep, that's the point of the question.

I reckon you meant "piece of cake". Not for me, though. Although I have almost all the knowledge needed, I still lack some of it and have none of the time to do it. Without supervision, a shop is the only option for me atm.
    CRF250

Don't know about shops in Nagoya but this might be worth a shot.
    Yodobaishi camera has a huge computer and computer parts section. It might be worth your time to ask them 1) where you could get just a prebuilt box like you want or 2) if they can assemble it for you if you buy the components.
    What OS are you looking to run?
    I use to build machines for folks all the time with and w/o an OS.
    We use to build hackintosh's all the time as well as Windows boxes.
    Life begins at 155mph

Thanks, racer. I'll be fitting in Windows, probably 7 and all else virtual. Dual boots are a pain.

I'll look into Yodobaishi. Appreciate the tip.
    CRF250

Sure. I hope they can help.
    Life begins at 155mph

http://www.dospara.co.jp/5sp/

Bought my PC here. Fully flexible on configuration.

They must have a shop down where you are too.

That's a find, thanks viking.
    CRF250

Well, I will need help purchasing some stuff. Bring it over, The monitors here are small and $$$. The desktops are not that great for the $$ and any upgrades are a catch all as far as I can tell. I just brought over ram chips 32gb ecc, samsung ssd 850 pro 500gb and a new keyboard (US) for the wife's compute stick. If all you need is internet and simple stuff the compute stick will get the job done. She remotes in to NYC so the connection is the thing for her. I still find newegg to be a good deal if you are willing to pay for shipping.

Actually I am looking for a 1u atom server for the firewall at the house. Oh yes, Wifi can be a pain to setup here if you are looking for certain products (www.open-mesh.com vs meraki)

No need to dual boot. Install ime instaed. Wife is very used to it from the states (she worked for a Japanese bank in NYC)