Thread: Best Cruiser under 400cc?

Default Best Cruiser under 400cc?

I have a buddy who just passed his chugata test, he wants a Dragstar, but I don't know much about them. Any of the cruiser guys know a good bike that's about 400cc? Common faults?

Thanks!

W.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Handling-wise, they're all pretty close. Corner like a brick, accelerate like a mule. :)

Friend rides a DS Classic 400, he's quite happy with it, particularly with the shaft drive for low maintenance. There are more mod parts available for the Dragstar series if your friend is planning to really go to town on it, and they're easier to hardtail if he wants to go that route.

The Suzuki Intruder, Kawasaki Vulcan 400 and Honda Shadow 400 have liquid cooling, which is a huge plus in summertime here.

EVil Twin quote *The Suzuki Intruder, Kawasaki Vulcan 400 and Honda Shadow 400 have liquid cooling, which is a huge plus in summertime here.

Agree with that. As the Dragstar is a V-Twin, the rear cylinder gets little to no airflow on long summer rides, and does overheat leading to performance issues.

Too bad about the Dragstar. My buddy is not much of a hands-on maintenance guy so probably the most reliable bike would be good for him. He's also going to take the oogata test, so the 400cc is just a starter bike until he gets used to riding and then will upgrade at a later date.

Driveshaft vs. Bad cooling... any quick fix for the DS or should he be looking for something else?

If this is his first bike he probably shouldn't be looking at a cruiser - they're not the easiest bike to ride, and they're pretty easy to drop - which gets expensive if you drop it on the right and those chrome pipes get a grinding.

If he wants to play around and mod it, a simple Yamaha SR400 is seriously moddable, and can be turned into a pretty badass chop over time. Stock, they're a nice easy ride, and there's loads of them available cheap.

If it's just a stopgap bike until he gets oogata, a DP bike is just the ticket - dirtbike styling means they don't get damaged as heavily if they go down.

Intruder 400 is liquid cooled and shaft drive. Cheap to run and very reliable. THey are also cheap to buy....
    The first thing men notice about a woman is her eyes. Then, when her eyes aren't looking, they notice her breasts.
    -- Conan OBrien

If he's going for his large bike license then it might be a good idea to wait until he gets that before going cruiser style. In all honesty, I don't know beans about it but the impression I get of the Hardly-Davidsons 400cc and under is that the style of the bike results in lots of weight and ungainliness per cc. I've always assumed the only people who buy them are those who are just in love with the style but for whatever reason can't get the license for a bigger one and "settle". If I weren't so oversized and in need of the extra horsepower I would most definitely considered an SR400 (or better, SR500). There must be a reason the things are so damned popular and I'd still love to have one. Ditto a nice 250cc dual-purpose bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Intruder 400 is liquid cooled and shaft drive. Cheap to run and very reliable. THey are also cheap to buy....
    Oh really? I always thought they were chain - never having seen one up close. That being the case, definitely a better city rider than the DS, and you still get the ease of maintenance of a shaft drive.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post
    Oh really? I always thought they were chain - never having seen one up close. That being the case, definitely a better city rider than the DS, and you still get the ease of maintenance of a shaft drive.
    Yep shaft drive, liquid cooled, 21 inch front on the VS model, 19 on the classic. They can get up to about 140ish with a little tuning and get about 150 kilometers on a tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100094.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	7051
    The first thing men notice about a woman is her eyes. Then, when her eyes aren't looking, they notice her breasts.
    -- Conan OBrien

Thanks to everyone that replied, I will pass on the info and let you know what he decided on in the end!

Regards,

W.

Any update on what he got?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Any update on what he got?
    Yep, went ahead and took the oogata, passed it and got a black 1200 XL! Already modded it out with full floating discs front and rear, going for the muffler, air filter and single seat next. Slowly but surely looking to transform it into a blacked-out badass.

I have a 2006 Shadow 400 going up for sale this spring when I get my new indian scout if your still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticalwarrior View Post
    I have a 2006 Shadow 400 going up for sale this spring when I get my new indian scout if your still interested.
    Whoa! You went in deep for this thread didn't ya Do let us hear your review of the Scout when you get it
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Yeah I went deep I test rode the scout and its a sweet machine very responsive handling very quick off the line not like driving a cruiser at all more like a sport tourer but like driving a couch lots of ground clearance for tight turns and you can do tight turns. The only things I didnt like were the exhaust is really hot and I was wearing leather chaps and it was Dec so it was cold but it was stilll hot so you have to be careful. The gas situation isnt great maybe get 150km maybe less dont know yet its a small tank. But you would need to stopo anyway after about 1.5 hrs on the road at hwy speeds anyway because you would need the rest, Its a very nice bike one other problem is the dealer in Fukuoka wants to charge me so much its crazy hes taken a 10000us bike and made 2000000| bike hes charging like 120000 for dealer prep thast a ;little bit crazy plus other stuff thats nuts as ;like 40000 for an etc so we are in the talking phase I talk and I ignore everything he says when it comes to his price he keeps saying the japanese would pay for it but I keep telling him im not japanese and no way in hell im paying that.