Thread: NEED CBR F2 HELP!!!

Default NEED CBR F2 HELP!!!

Before I left on deployment I was doing some work on a friends CBR (smoking joes edition) There was all kinds of problems with it. The air filter was missing, wood screws holding body panels on, almost 9 quarts of oil in the system (yes you read that right, almost 9 quarts of oil), both tires square as a 4x4 block of wood with cords showing, fan not working, brakes warped and pads excessivly worn, and all kinds of other little problems...
    I fixed all of these problems, did a nice tune up on it, synced all of the carbs, new oil, new tires, plugs, plug wires, oil and air filter, EBC brake rotors and braking pads, and just went throuh the whole thing, everhauled both the front and rear suspension, EVERYTHING....

Well to get to the point, the thing was running better than it had in probably 7 or 8 years. I took it for a romp down the road just to make sure and it ran just fine... I let it sit for a couple of days in my garage, went to start it up and put the bodywork on it for a friend and it just turned over and over and over and would sputter but never catch. STRANGE!!!! I checked the spark on all of the cylinders and they were good so I started to look at the fuel pump. It looked pretty haggard and wasnt pushing fuel through. I looked at the contacts on it and they looked fried so after checking the gravity feed on the tank and the fuel filter (which were both fine) I suggested he get a new fuel pump.
    After getting the new pump we installed it and same story. We get an initial click from the relay on the pump but it dosent keep switching so it wont pump fuel. I havent had a chance to check the voltage on this but I cant find anything in the schematic about what causes the pump to cycle. There has to be some other relay to basically pulse the pump to casue it to push the fuel.
    I want to get this damn thing fixed and out of my garage ASAP so I can start working on my GSXR, I have decided to try to gte it back on the street so any suggestions or help would be appriciated. Thanks guys. I can turn a Suzuki inside and out with my eyes closed but hondas are super crampd with excess crap everywhere and really hard to work on compared to suzuki's so...
    Thanks everyone...

Default Re: NEED CBR F2 HELP!!!

Smokin' Joes would be a '96 F3 and I hate to state the obvious but that sounds like a dead battery.

Sorry to dissapoint you but I went through two fresh batteries and nothing.. Everything works fine with the exception of the fuel. Fuel gets to the pump but wont be pushed through it. The pump activates but wont pump fuel. We replaced the pump and same thing... The pump wont cycle like is supposed to to push fuel. There has to be another set of controls or relays that casue it to not be working. I just need to find those...

How many wires run to the pump?

Does the tank need to be grounded to the chassis for the pump to work?

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Could be a ton of things.

If the old unit failed, why? Just age, or a build up of crap in the tank, that went into the pump and clogged it? If you did not remove the old gas and crap from the tank the new pump could also be clogged up.

Other stuff. On a lot of bikes there is a vacuum line from the intake side of the engine (near the carbs, usually) to a diaphragm on the fuel petcock...? Make sure this hose is on there, if there is one.

Does the fuel pump look like this.........

two hook ups for fuel, one in, one out, two wires, and that grey line, could be a vacuum hose....?

With out that vacuum hose hooked up, no fuel will flow. Even if the vacuum line is hooked up, if there is a crack in it or it is rotten at the carb connection, then it will not work.

Just rereading what you wrote..........

" I fixed all of these problems, did a nice tune up on it, synced all of the carbs"
    Is it possible that when you synced the carbs, you did not reattach the vacuum line?

Ah...... what else........?

Kill switch.......?

if the kill switch is intermittent then, on some bikes, the fuel pump will not activate, even with the ignition on.

Well that is it off the top of my head....

Cheers!
    Never be afraid to try something new! Remember, the ark was built by one amateur, the Titanic was built by thousands of professionals.

The old one died because the contacts at the top of it shorted out. I purged all of the old gas our of the tank and did a visual inspection of the tank. I replaced the fuel filter (yes it is installed the correct way) when we replaced the pump and put new gas in the tank.

stu, I think you might be onto something with the vacuum hose. I will double check that because I am pretty sure that when I hooked up the new pump and tested it I didnt hook that up...

Damn carbs and vacuums hoses. Give me electronic fuel injection and electronic fuel injection!!!

It might sound retarded, but try cranking it with the cas cap open on the fuel tank. I've heard of this working before.
    --------------------------
    DRZ 480

Already did that. I honestly think that its the vacuum hoses. Its either the one going from the fuel pump to somewhere or the one from the carbs to the gas petcock...

Good, I hope that works.

And don't forget to check the kill switch, even in the "On" position, it could not be working and killing the fuel pump.

Most likely the vacuum hose, good luck!
    Never be afraid to try something new! Remember, the ark was built by one amateur, the Titanic was built by thousands of professionals.

Well................?

Is that heap out of your garage yet? :mrgreen:

Bump......

WELL....?

Sorry, i havent had a chance to look at it yet. this coming weekend is when i will be working on it since the girl is gone and i am off my vacation so...