Thread: DRZ 400S for SM

Default DRZ 400S for SM

I know this is a long shot - but I was wondering if anyone would like to swap their DRZ SM for my 2003/4 S + cash.
    03 DRZ400
    03 CRG Silver Shadow/PRD (kart)

Fancy selling your DRZ for outright cash? :razz:

I thought a swap might be less hassle than selling and buying on Yahoo auctions. And I don't want to be too long without a bike. But thanks for the novel idea ;)
    03 DRZ400

Quote Originally Posted by simon
    I thought a swap might be less hassle than selling and buying on Yahoo auctions. And I don't want to be too long without a bike. But thanks for the novel idea ;)
    I meant sell it to me! :razz: Then just take the cash and buy one of the many SMs offered on Yahoo auction ;)

I just realized what you meant after I posted, sorry.

I probably will sometime in the future and I'll make sure you're the first to know if you haven't bought one by then. 8)
    03 DRZ400

How much cash?

I'll swap the DRZ400SM that I don't yet have for your DRZ400S
    plus lets say you throw in the small sum of JPY450,000...;)

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Buy some motard wheels. The S is lighter than the SM.
    Saw a set on auction a few weeks back for JPY50,000

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Thanks for the Viz Top Tips Jav but I don't think its as simple as that.
    The forks and the brakes are also different. I don't even think Dennis would of converted his S if the SM had been out, its a lot of cash and work.

Also I don't really trust Yahoo auctions that much, and if you buy those wheels new, well its crazy..
    03 DRZ400

I think the SM is changed for '07 slightly, it now comes standard with Renthal handlebars and Excel wheels! The previous SM models had wimpy steel-tube no-name handlebars (bend easily), and wheels not as cool as Excels. I think. ;)

tarding an S doesn't have to be so complicated. if i understood the shop guy correctly, you just need wheels, tires and brake discs. spoked wheels are much cheaper than mags but maybe won't run tubeless tires.

tarding an S is still a good way to go even with the availability of the SM IMO. especially if you already have an S that you know is in good condition. you can customize the wheels to your taste, etc.

or you could just put good street tires on your S and pretend it's an SM.

how many kilometers do you have on your S?

Hi Haildamage,

I thought about buying new rims, etc. but it's pretty expensive.

I ended up doing the cheapo thing and bought some more street oriented tyres called Battlewings. I'm not too impressed with them though, they don't inspire any more confidence than the old Trailwings. I think they're the most street oriented tyres you can get for the S though.

I tried pretending I was on an SM but my imagination isn't that good

My bike has about 8000km. Looks like new still cause its kept inside.
    03 DRZ400

I found the D604's to be good tyres. Certainly capable of more grip than
    I would ever hope to need on the street................. Also the D605 I
    used on the RMX at Sendai had no problem holding full throttle
    through most turns.

Here is a picture of the D604's handling somewhere near 40hp while banked over.

A pic of Jim and Mister Ablett, back when we all had 2strokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav

I believe that's Nikito, still searching for a supercharger on my CRM following the spanking I gave him at Sportland Yamanashi ;)

Hi Haildamage,

I thought about buying new rims, etc. but it's pretty expensive.

I ended up doing the cheapo thing and bought some more street oriented tyres called Battlewings. I'm not too impressed with them though, they don't inspire any more confidence than the old Trailwings.
    IRC has some street oriented tires called GP something or other. I had them on the Baja and they worked very well. Of course, the other solution would be to sell the DRZ to me this weekend, then buy yourself an SM :razz:

I think the SM also has stiffer, shorter stroke suspension. 8)

I ended up doing the cheapo thing and bought some more street oriented tyres called Battlewings. I'm not too impressed with them though, they don't inspire any more confidence than the old Trailwings. I think they're the most street oriented tyres you can get for the S though.

I tried pretending I was on an SM but my imagination isn't that good
    The Bridgestone Battlewings newver really gave me too much cause for concern for motard on the XR250.

The last pic is turn 1 at Inagawa circuit and I reckon somewhere around 100kmh at full bank. I came off about 10 laps before this shot was taken but only because I ran out of clearance. You can see the gouges in the track just in front and outside of the line I'm taking.

BUT, The IRC tyres are really, REALLY good. My mate Takeshi has some on his XR250 and they really are stickier than hell.
    Rather the fool that knows he's a fool than the fool that thinks he's wise.

who you are means nothing, how you are means everything.

Absynthe makes the fart go Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav

I believe that's Nikito, still searching for a supercharger on my CRM following the spanking I gave him at Sportland Yamanashi ;)
    Yes that is Neil and Jim, I don't own a Hi-vis stitch.

This talk of tires on the off-road rims reminded me of that day, and Jav's cornering.

Keith did OK at Ebisu on some of the same tires, I think.......

But I'd not trust them like I trust the Dunlop GPR70s :mrgreen:

Cheers!
    Never be afraid to try something new! Remember, the ark was built by one amateur, the Titanic was built by thousands of professionals.

Excellent pic Stu :o

That is seriously cranked over =D>
    Rather the fool that knows he's a fool than the fool that thinks he's wise.

who you are means nothing, how you are means everything.

Absynthe makes the fart go Honda

Hah I forgot about Keith's dual-sport, is that a DR350? I remember that time a bunch of us rode to Okegawa, Keith's dirty bike would start wobbling at high speeds due to its light weight and knobblie tires.

Nice lean angle Stu. Hey how much hp did that two-stroke make?

Quote Originally Posted by domrsv1000
    Excellent pic Stu :o

That is seriously cranked over =D>
    Thanks Dom, and that was in January at one of Don Helle's SRTT training days!

That RMX ROCKS! :mrgreen:

Rick, I don't know, but it has to be a fair bit above the stock 37hp, with all the mods I did to it.

I should put it back together one day........ ;)

I think that is Keith on the XR600 he had....? :?:
    Never be afraid to try something new! Remember, the ark was built by one amateur, the Titanic was built by thousands of professionals.

It's easier to make an "S" into an "SM" than vice versa, I think. But then again, the black SM does look cool.

If you plan on swapping wheels for SM/dirt action, I'd keep the "S," but if you're just going to be 100% SM, then a bike swap might be feasible if you feel up to the hassle.

To make the S an SM, you really just need the wheels and a 320mm front rotor with caliper relocator (Like the base Motomaster kit). Oh, and the new speedo gear to keep the speedo somewhat correct. Getting the extra stuff is just more fun.
    --------------------------
    DRZ 480