Thread: ...a bit of road rage on Friday...

Default ...a bit of road rage on Friday...

Funny how it unfoldeded...

After a "fun" snowy ride into work on Friday, I was a bit disappointed on the way home, since the snow had turned to slushy rain.

I usually drive with the high beam on in daylight (I have HIDs installed, hi and low). I left work about 4:30 and I remember briefly debating whether there was still enough light to keep the high on. I decided to let it ride...

Not 5 minutes away from work, there was a bit of traffic on a decline in the road before a traffic light. The car in front of me suddenly pulled over to the shoulder and I went past. As I slowly rolled past his position, he cut off the car behind me to get back in. He then sped up and accelerated until he was right on my ass, gunning the engine, right on my back tire...

I stopped a bike, and he pulled around me to continue on. He then slammed on his brakes and motioned for me to pull into a side street to the left. I was feeling a bit bored and curious, so I followed; I had summized by now that his beef was the brights.

We both pulled over, and he got out of his car and ran back to my position. As I has summized, he was all in my face about the high beams. I agreed it was in, hind sight, too late in the day to run the brights...but without missing a beat, I continued on:

Me: If I called the police right now and had them come over, who do you think would be in more trouble. I might end up with a ticket...what would they do to you?
    Him: Major back pedaling...
    Me: (looking over at the company logo on the side of his car) Maybe I should call and we could wait at your company for them to come, and sort this out...
    Him: MAJOR back pedaling, an apology and jog back to his car...

Admittedly, it was late in the day to be running the brights, and we were on a decline which likely moved my lights up into his window; but no excuse to threaten me with a deadly weapon...

Glad it all worked out...

Quote Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
    Funny how it unfoldeded...

After a "fun" snowy ride into work on Friday, I was a bit disappointed on the way home, since the snow had turned to slushy rain.

I usually drive with the high beam on in daylight (I have HIDs installed, hi and low). I left work about 4:30 and I remember briefly debating whether there was still enough light to keep the high on. I decided to let it ride...

Not 5 minutes away from work, there was a bit of traffic on a decline in the road before a traffic light. The car in front of me suddenly pulled over to the shoulder and I went past. As I slowly rolled past his position, he cut off the car behind me to get back in. He then sped up and accelerated until he was right on my ass, gunning the engine, right on my back tire...

I stopped a bike, and he pulled around me to continue on. He then slammed on his brakes and motioned for me to pull into a side street to the left. I was feeling a bit bored and curious, so I followed; I had summized by now that his beef was the brights.

We both pulled over, and he got out of his car and ran back to my position. As I has summized, he was all in my face about the high beams. I agreed it was in, hind sight, too late in the day to run the brights...but without missing a beat, I continued on:

Me: If I called the police right now and had them come over, who do you think would be in more trouble. I might end up with a ticket...what would they do to you?
    Him: Major back pedaling...
    Me: (looking over at the company logo on the side of his car) Maybe I should call and we could wait at your company for them to come, and sort this out...
    Him: MAJOR back pedaling, an apology and jog back to his car...

Admittedly, it was late in the day to be running the brights, and we were on a decline which likely moved my lights up into his window; but no excuse to threaten me with a deadly weapon...

Glad it all worked out...
    I totally agree there is no excuse what he did.

I do think you are bonkers to ride with an HID at full beam, at any time of day unless there is absolutely no traffic about, never mind sunset.

Low beam HID is unmissable in my experience.
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

Quote Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
    I totally agree there is no excuse what he did.

I do think you are bonkers to ride with an HID at full beam, at any time of day unless there is absolutely no traffic about, never mind sunset.

Low beam HID is unmissable in my experience.
    Could be right...I'll have to ask Guy...he rode in front of me a whole day...
    My low beam is set pretty low...

Messing with your low beam HID was going to my suggestion.

I don't think Guy has enough lights on his bike....
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

I recommend, never use high beam if you can see another vehicles, either if it is
    travelling in the same direction or not.

That said, we do sometimes, when on group rides, turn our mirrors askew and all ride with
    high beams on, provided there is no traffic coming the opposite direction and there is no traffic
    in front of us. With bikes at night, the more light you have the safer you are.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
    Could be right...I'll have to ask Guy...he rode in front of me a whole day...
    My low beam is set pretty low...
    Okay, I wasn't gonna make a big deal about it, but your HID is pretty annoying, even in daytime. You and Lee both -- and he uses his at night on the Tomei while passing people!

Turn 'em off and keep 'em off, gentlemen, unless there's no one ahead of you and no one coming toward you. If you want to be more visible to other drivers, get running lights or those little blue LED's the taxis have.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I hate HIDs full-stop. Especially the non-white ones...
    High's on in day time is mad too - you don't need that cos you're only trying to catch people's attention to make them aware of you, not annoy them. That study from ages ago concluded that in low-light conditions park lights are enough... and there's enough visual pollution on the roads here, we don't need any more

Night is a different matter - I use high whenever there's nothing in front of me. Or at least, I used to - the TL had a projector with HID for low (utter crap) and a reflector for high; had to use high or I couldn't see around corners when the bike leaned over :o the Duke has a sharp cut-off in the low but the high is a better spread.

If I were driving, I'd flash my lights at you but that's as raged as I'd get.

... I always assumed those blue LEDs were just bling-bling wank. They look naff anyway.

All that said - well handled :)

Company name on the vehicle? I don't threaten to call....I just call. No phone number? Google will get it for you.

must be a faulty leveling thing on the bike... (^^;;

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Company name on the vehicle? I don't threaten to call....I just call. No phone number? Google will get it for you.
    Totally agree.