Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harley's Mid Year Model Release

Default Harley's Mid Year Model Release

The Boyz from Milwaukee just released their mid year line-up. Not much of a showing this year although I suspect that's due to the ongoing global economic crisis.

The Sportster 72 looks like the old 1200 Custom with apehangers and fancy paint.

The Softail Slim looks like a cross Fatboy Lo/Softail Blackline.

Was hoping to see something new in the CVO lineup but no such luck. They're probably struggling to get rid of the initial line up inventory.

You can see them at: www.harley-davidson.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-seventy-two-AD4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    The Boyz from Milwaukee just released their mid year line-up. Not much of a showing this year although I suspect that's due to the ongoing global economic crisis.

The Sportster 72 looks like the old 1200 Custom with apehangers and fancy paint.

The Softail Slim looks like a cross Fatboy Lo/Softail Blackline.

Was hoping to see something new in the CVO lineup but no such luck. They're probably struggling to get rid of the initial line up inventory.

You can see them at: www.harley-davidson.com
    Liking the metal flake red on the 72 - not sure I could cope with whitewalls though.

The slim looks like a bastard child of a Cross Bones and Fatboy - and not in a good way.
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

Wish Harley would think outside the box a little instead of just adding slightly tweaked variations of its current lineup.

Add knobbies, a bash plate, high pipes and long-stroke suspension to a sporty and get a piece of the growing adv bike market...

Harley think outside the box!? Last time they allowed that they ended up shit canning an awesome designer, visionary, and my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    Harley think outside the box!? Last time they allowed that they ended up shit canning an awesome designer, visionary, and my friend.
    Can you provide more information on this?

The reason i ask is because someone i know used to be the designer for the fatboy series during the eighties. he basically said the same thing.

and my friend.
    Well damn then, that could be anyone.......................

Not from Harley!

Last edited by Jav; 09-02-12 at 12:53 PM.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I truly think that on the Softail and Dyna lines they have lost the plot. Everything is a parts bin special these days, and they stop making brilliant bikes like the Nightrain. . The exception maybe is the Sportsters, and the improvements on some the baggers.

The last big Softail change was the "Rocker" and I wouldn't be seen dead on that. Give them one more year to get their shit together.
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

Quote Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
    I truly think that on the Softail and Dyna lines they have lost the plot. Everything is a parts bin special these days, and they stop making brilliant bikes like the Nightrain. . The exception maybe is the Sportsters, and the improvements on some the baggers.

The last big Softail change was the "Rocker" and I wouldn't be seen dead on that. Give them one more year to get their shit together.
    The Rocker was a late and failed attempt to cash in on the now failing "Chopper" market. The focus on their bagger line-up clearly shows they are catering to their aging demographic. The introduction of the Dyna Switchback further supports that claim and is a low profile attempt at capturing the upcoming generation of potential bagger owners.

Although the sportster has seen some decent upgrades in recent years such as rubber mounting and EFI, it's still in dire need of a complete makeover. IMHO, the XR is/was a step in the right direction and probably would (will) have done much better if it were given a power boost and slightly better rider accommodations. Truth be told, if I had indoor parking here I would have kept my XR as it was a fun bike to ride......for anything less than 6 hours

The Rocker was a late and failed attempt to cash in on the now failing "Chopper" market. The focus on their bagger line-up clearly shows they are catering to their aging demographic. The introduction of the Dyna Switchback further supports that claim and is a low profile attempt at capturing the upcoming generation of potential bagger owners.

Although the sportster has seen some decent upgrades in recent years such as rubber mounting and EFI, it's still in dire need of a complete makeover. IMHO, the XR is/was a step in the right direction and probably would (will) have done much better if it were given a power boost and slightly better rider accommodations. Truth be told, if I had indoor parking here I would have kept my XR as it was a fun bike to ride......for anything less than 6 hours
    I thought the Switchback was a joke....

They should make a proper flat tracker XR with comedy air filter and knobblies, and a cafe racer version like Jav is building with top notch suspension and brakes (i.e. Brembo radials and Ohlins).

Quote Originally Posted by chozzer View Post
    I thought the Switchback was a joke.....
    It is............ but I do like the latest iteration of the Wide Glide. Raked front end with flat bar, chopped rear fender, and minimalist bling. All that true chop/bob bike should be.

The Wide Glide does look good....

It is............ but I do like the latest iteration of the Wide Glide. Raked front end with flat bar, chopped rear fender, and minimalist bling. All that true chop/bob bike should be.
    Its their best bike (apart from the Lo) - especially with flames paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    That is excellent... I think they'd have to rigid mount the motor though otherwise it might be too heavy. Actually the entire Sportster line could use slimming down.

Erik Buell?

Sportster doesn't necessarily need more power, it just needs to lose about 150-200 pounds and get better brakes. Really, it needs to be a Buell Lightning, but oops, Harley killed that avenue toward improvement.

I read on HD Forums that the MoCo cancelled their annual winter dealer convention which was the event they had previously used to launch their mid-year line-up. Here we are in week 3 of February and no new models : ( Wonder if they're just doing that this year so as not to distract potential customers from looking at their 105 year Anniversary models?

At a time when Europe is pumping out new and lustworthy models without relent you would think the Boyz in Milwaukee would step up their game.

I'm hoping BMW will extend their new Boxer engine to the RT line. I could see one of those replacing the RK as my touring rig............although I would likely be parking a new Dyna Wide Glide (with a 120 cubic inch engine) right next to it
    Last edited by rdkng103; 20-02-13 at 05:07 PM.

My guess is that the Moco is busy with the designs for the new WC motor. Which would explain why the Road Glide will be missing from the 2014 lineup, but is supposed to reappear in 2015.

The new boxer motor will definitely spread through the lineup, I'm guessing we'll see it debut in the RT next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    My guess is that the Moco is busy with the designs for the new WC motor.
    Got some early spy video right here...

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

2013 Softail Breakout mid year model. Too bad it doesn't come with the same 110" Engine it's CVO sibling has

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13-hd-breakout-bs[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	9169

THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT and go old school "REAL" circle dirt tracking! Know the meaning of the number "1" for the HD core riders. Slicing rubber off the tires with a razor blade, Daytona bars, and dragging metal foot on corners doing 80mph. I need to find me a 883 orphan and make a dirt tracker like this one.

Yah Erik Buell style!