Thread: Whoops! Forgot to renew.. Consequences?!

Default Whoops! Forgot to renew.. Consequences?!

Hey guys,

Just realized my Japanese license expired on the 17th Feb this year and I haven't renewed it yet.. Oh dear..
    I don't own a car or a bike and hardly ever drive, but occasionally rent vehicles for special occasions, holiday travel, etc.
    Wondering if anyone else has forgotten to renew and what the consequences were when they eventually did?!

Cheers all

Paul

Have not been in that situation in Japan, but would expect you will not have any problem.
    Just explain that you forgot and go through the motions of renewing.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by porurein View Post
    Hey guys,

Just realized my Japanese license expired on the 17th Feb this year and I haven't renewed it yet.. Oh dear..
    I don't own a car or a bike and hardly ever drive, but occasionally rent vehicles for special occasions, holiday travel, etc.
    Wondering if anyone else has forgotten to renew and what the consequences were when they eventually did?!

Cheers all

Paul
    My friend was stopped with his licence 1 day out of date. He had a 7 (seven) hour interview at the Police station.

Get it sorted... : )
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

one day lecture, and a simple test....
    as long as its within 6 month...

I found a nice little flow-chart from the Fukushima cops (toward the bottom of the page).

You don't want to let it go past six months. No no no no no.

It's actually less hassle to get your license renewed after spending up to three years in prison than it is if you just forget and let it go past six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    I found a nice little flow-chart from the Fukushima cops (toward the bottom of the page).

You don't want to let it go past six months. No no no no no.

It's actually less hassle to get your license renewed after spending up to three years in prison than it is if you just forget and let it go past six months.
    My Kanji is not so good - but I think at the bottom it says "your fucked".
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

You can spend 2 years and 364 days in prison, get out, and so long as you do the process within a month of being sprung from the joint you have exactly the same process as somebody who just forgot and who hasn't let more than six months go by. You let more than six months go by....you get a learner's permit. You let a year go by, and it is basically "take your ass back to driving school and start all over again".

I was stopped by the cops for an illegal turn in August. It was then I found out my license had expired in June.

Basically, you are ok. You might have to pay a penalty for about 2000 or 3000 yen. When you go to renew, it will be just like a normal renewal (go to counter A, then C, then #22, then an eye check, then back to A, then a lecture for 2 hours....). If you wait more than 6 months you will have problems. Don't wait m
    '12-'xx - KTM 690smc (stolen) / 990SM-T
    '07-'12 - Honda CB400 / CB1000
    '01-'06 - Yamaha V-Star 650 / 1250

Eat Ramen! www.ramenadventures.com

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys :-)
    I'll get to the licensing center ASAP, and definitely within 6 months :-D

That's great, never try to go beyond 6 months, prior to 6 months, the consequences are quite manageable, but after that, I don't think it'll still be manageable. Good luck!