Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vendor: Warm & Safe Heated Gear

Default Vendor: Warm & Safe Heated Gear

Just wanted to introduce myself (Roo) and I'm sure many of you have already hear of Warm & Safe Heated Gear before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ws2012-1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	8908

We make all kinds of heated gear, controllers, etc.

What makes us different than the other Heater Gear Brands?

- Developed by motorcycle riders, we ride and design gear around the real world experience, the competition doesn't. (and it shows in their products)

- Innovation, nearly every advance in heated gear has come from us. Everything from the coax cables, temperature controller, to smaller details like glove connector pockets in the sleeves and seperate channels to control the temperature of the gear independently. Unfortunately most of the innovation gets copied by competitors but without the R&D and understanding why we do what we do, they often make mistakes and miss the point. Our latest major innovation being our wireless Heat-trollers. If you haven't tried one yet, just imagine less wires and a much easier install.

- History, we used to be the OEM supplier to Harley and Gerbings. (until they decided to knock off one of our older designs in China and cut us out)

- Accessories, everything you can think of and stuff you didn't even knew you needed =P

- Experience/Support, you have questions? We've got answers.

I just came across this forum by chance but since I actually live in Japan and our main distributor her isn't focused on sales to Gaijin, here I am.
    I'd love to throw a group buy together for the gear if you guys are interested.

And some product pics...

Name:	htrm1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	8909
    1 channel remote

Name:	htrm2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	8910
    2 channel remote

Name:	mensjacketfront.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	8911
    Men's Heated Jacket Liner ( Temperature neutral with no insulation, making for a nice thin "under jacket" that blocks wind and stretches for the nice fit that keeps the heat panels against your body where you will feel them. Soft fleece collar that is also heated. Connectors for heated gloves on the wrists which can con be controlled together or independently from the jacket.)

Name:	womensjacketfront.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	8912
    Women's Heated Jacket Liner (same as men's but contoured to fit women)

Name:	HeatedPantLinerMW.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	8913
    Men's/Women's Heated Tights (fit like tights to be worn underneath you regular pants. Connectors on the bottom of each leg for heated socks. You can actually go all out and control the pants and socks on 2 additional, independent, channels with an second 2ch controller but most people tends to run a complete set of gear on a 2ch controller with 1ch for the gloves and 1ch for everything else)

We also have a 3 different types of heated gloves, heated glove liners, heated socks, and a ton of other accessories. Once again, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I've been working with this stuff for several years and this manufacturer is simple the best in design, quality, and performance.
    Last edited by roo; 21-11-12 at 03:50 PM.

Hi Roo, welcome to the GR Forum
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Roo, I think I bought my Powerlet jacket liner, gloves, and heat controller from you back in early 2010. Are you also connected to a business called Apache Racing?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Hi James! Hi Guy! Good to see more familiar faces! Yeah, that was us Guy. We changed things up a bit and decided to sell Warm & Safe direct rather than Powerlet. BTW, apparently Powerlet is knocking off the Warm & Safe Jackets, Pants, and glove liners in China now so while they're still selling our Heat-Trollers, I can't vouch for the rest of their current lineup.

I forgot to mention, new for the 2012/2013 season, we now have waterproof Jacket liners made with GELANOTS (made in Japan by Toyota Tsusho) innovative waterproof fabric. (just as thin as our regular jacket liners only the fabric and zippers are all waterproof)

Name:	wp_mens_liner_red_f_0742__94131.1339712418.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	8915
    They come in black, charcoal, red, and yellow for men.

Name:	wp_womens_liner_gray_f_0713__96195.1339817929.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	8916
    They come in black, blue, charcoal, red, and yellow for women.

Name:	wp_womens_liner_black_cuhood_sv_0779__16693.1340401047.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	8917
    The women's also have a built in waterproof hood

Shortly we'll stock of a new version of our heated tights with GELANOTS built into the front. The regular heated tights were originally meant to be worn under a riding suit or chaps that block the wind but we've found many that want to ride in nothing but jeans but jeans don't block the wind...so you will still get cold. Adding the GELANOTS to the front blocks the wind, despite what you're wearing over them.
    Last edited by roo; 23-11-12 at 10:35 AM.

Welcome Roo!

Couple of questions.

Is Powerlet / WarmnSafe the same brand? I have a Powerlet rapid fire jacket I bought last year which I am using with a single wireless controller.

The jacket has a connector which can be undone to use it in 60W mode. Safe to use that on my bike (a CRF250L) with a 337W alternator output?

It also has heated grips (Honda OEM). No other electrical accessories fitted.

Do you sell the heated vests? (I am a Powerlet XL size)

Cheers

Chozzer

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't heard the news."

Hi Chozzer!

Powerlet is a separate company that used to rebrand Warm & Safe heated gear as their own but apparently Powerlet is knocking off the Warm & Safe Jackets, Pants, and glove liners in China now so while they're still selling our Heat-Trollers, I can't vouch for the rest of their current lineup. (Unfortunately, the rapidfire jacket you have is likely one of their Chinese knockoffs) We actually make 65w jackets geared for smaller bikes/scooters so yeah, I think you'll be safe with 60w on your bike. If you're worried, you can always hook up a battery tender or similar charger when at home. (we actually make adapters so you can plug the charger right in to you Heat-troller battery cable) FYI, we also make a Heat-Troller for your OEM heated grips. (The Honda OEM controllers are notorious for failing)

Yes, we have vests as well. Just like the jacket but about 65w without the arms and the glove connecting cables are moved to the shoulders.

Name:	vestf.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	8925

my alternator puts out about 310 watts on my PCX. i put a voltmeter that plugs into the 12 volt socket on the handlebars when i am first using heated gear on the bike. my understanding is that if you are maintaining over 12.8 volts, you are fine. however, if you are going under 12.8, you are overextending the power supply and draining the battery. this is also hard on the electrical system.

on my PCX, it is fine while driving. however, i have to turn it off at idle or when the idle stop kicks in. on my 800GS, the alternator puts out enough even at idle.

is my method sound?

Hi Roo
    By any chance, are you Mike Coan...if so, thanks for the email yesterday. I am planning to place an order this week...

Jim in Japan
    ...speak softly and pack an obscenely large hammer...

I have Powerlet liner, cargon gloves and wireless controller. Liner works great, is toasty, but gloves suddenly stop working... :(

Also, the cap for the female barrel connector that plugs to the battery was gone. Do you have any replacement for that?

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	8931

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    my alternator puts out about 310 watts on my PCX. i put a voltmeter that plugs into the 12 volt socket on the handlebars when i am first using heated gear on the bike. my understanding is that if you are maintaining over 12.8 volts, you are fine. however, if you are going under 12.8, you are overextending the power supply and draining the battery. this is also hard on the electrical system.

on my PCX, it is fine while driving. however, i have to turn it off at idle or when the idle stop kicks in. on my 800GS, the alternator puts out enough even at idle.

is my method sound?
    Sounds like a bit more work than is necessary. With bikes/scooters with smaller batteries/alternators, the real issue is your riding habits. If you're riding for more than, say, 20 mins, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. If you're making a ton of sub 15 minute trips with mostly stop and go traffic, the alternator isn't given enough time to charge the battery and after several days of riding like this, you might find that you need to charge your battery. (in this case, I recommend a battery tender or similar small charger)

Quote Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
    Hi Roo
    By any chance, are you Mike Coan...if so, thanks for the email yesterday. I am planning to place an order this week...

Jim in Japan
    Hi Jim, nope, Roo is my name. Mike Coan is the Owner of Warm & Safe. BTW, if the order is shipping to Japan be sure to hit me up when you're ready to order: roo@chokonen.com

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    I have Powerlet liner, cargon gloves and wireless controller. Liner works great, is toasty, but gloves suddenly stop working... :(

Also, the cap for the female barrel connector that plugs to the battery was gone. Do you have any replacement for that?

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	8931
    Go ahead and send us your gloves and a copy of your receipt, we'll repair or replace them. Yes, we have rubber replacement connector caps. I'll send you one.

Addy is:

Warm & Safe Heated Gear
    ATTN: Roo
    1-26-2 Saginomiya
    Nakano-Ku, Tokyo-To
    Japan 165-0032

my concern it that if the charging system is running at a deficit, this can put damaging strain on the charging system. i had a regulator/ rectifier fail on my DRZ after running a 45 watt heated jacket a considerable amount. i cant be sure that this was caused by running the jacket, but i have heard that running electrical accessories that put bring the system below 12.8 is not good for the electrical system.

indeed, i have and make regular use of a battery tender, especially when using heated gear.

my concern it that if the charging system is running at a deficit, this can put damaging strain on the charging system. i had a regulator/ rectifier fail on my DRZ after running a 45 watt heated jacket a considerable amount. i cant be sure that this was caused by running the jacket, but i have heard that running electrical accessories that put bring the system below 12.8 is not good for the electrical system.

indeed, i have and make regular use of a battery tender, especially when using heated gear.
    Eric, I too believe this to generally be true, you can fry your Stator, by over loading it. The problem will be more with the Stator coils burning out, than the R/R cooking, but these two often end up taking each other out when one goes.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be running at a deficit but a heated jacket liner and say, heated gloves, shouldn't be enough to put you that low. Consider that the 65W jacket liner is only 65W with the heat at 100% and while everyone's comfort zone is different and the amount of heat you want will depend on what you have on over the heated gear, the only time I hear of people cranking the liner up that far is at speed (at which point your alternator output is also up) where you're dealing with wind. The gloves are 12W each at 100% heat so the max wattage you'd ever pull would be 89W with that setup. (but once again, you won't be riding with it cranked at 100%) One of our guys is running exactly this, a 65W liner and heated gloves on a little 49cc Zoomer with no issues so I can't imagine the same setup giving you problems on a PCX unless you have a bunch of other accessories.

BTW, this also brings up a good point....you WILL likely be adjusting the heat as you ride. This is why the remotes are so handy, you can mount them anywhere with ease and where you can adjust them.

Quote Originally Posted by roo View Post
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to be running at a deficit but a heated jacket liner and say, heated gloves, shouldn't be enough to put you that low. Consider that the 65W jacket liner is only 65W with the heat at 100% and while everyone's comfort zone is different and the amount of heat you want will depend on what you have on over the heated gear, the only time I hear of people cranking the liner up that far is at speed (at which point your alternator output is also up) where you're dealing with wind. The gloves are 12W each at 100% heat so the max wattage you'd ever pull would be 89W with that setup. (but once again, you won't be riding with it cranked at 100%) One of our guys is running exactly this, a 65W liner and heated gloves on a little 49cc Zoomer with no issues so I can't imagine the same setup giving you problems on a PCX unless you have a bunch of other accessories.

BTW, this also brings up a good point....you WILL likely be adjusting the heat as you ride. This is why the remotes are so handy, you can mount them anywhere with ease and where you can adjust them.
    I have to agree with Roo's point too, my earlier example was of not just heated gear but big-ass aux lights running at the same time, plus some other farkles. With the WnS gear as described, at say 75% you're only pulling about what your OEM Halogen headlight would take. So one idea would be to switch to HID headlight, thus freeing up around 30+W for extra heating.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Roo, are the heated jacket liners you're selling the new "infrared" (?) kind with no internal wires, or do they have a heating wire running throughout the jacket material to heat you up?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Roo, are the heated jacket liners you're selling the new "infrared" (?) kind with no internal wires, or do they have a heating wire running throughout the jacket material to heat you up?
    The "FAR Infared" and "no annoying heating wires of any kind!" that Powerlet has on their website are pretty dodgy marketing claims if you ask me. Gerbings markets their gear with these half truths in much the same way.

Their "FAR Infared Nano Core" put simply is direct heat...think heated floor vs. a space heater. They branded theirs "Nano Core," we call ours "Softheat" but for all intensive purposes, same concept and ours is carbon as well. (Although we use a wire and specs we feel are superior, with a flatter design for a larger contact patch.) As for hot spots, cold spots, breaking, etc., all that comes from manufacturing and has nothing to do with the wire. (we assemble ours in Thailand, Powerlet in China....and you can take your guesses on why we are producing more and more of our products in Thailand)

The no wires claim is just straight BS. The heat panels (another one of our innovations) in their jackets are basically light fabric panels with the heating wire sewn into them. (see what one of our older ones look like here: www.warmsafe.jp/pantuinner.jpg ) It's not wireless and it's nothing new or exclusive to them, same design we use in ours and same concept as even our older gen 3 resistance wire jackets use. The only wires you'll feel in our jackets jackets are the power cables/connectors but you don't really feel them with the jacket on, just by hand if you're searching for them. On the other hand, I should point out the Powerlet jackets have a zipper across the back...can't imagine that feels good in the area that's tightest against your body. (Maybe Chozzer can comment if it bugs him at all) If they have heat directly under there, I would even worry about the possibility of burning a zipper tramp stamp across your back on a long ride.

Maybe we should all wear a Titanium/Aluminium foil jacket and strap an IH Heater to the seat and see how that goes :)
    I wish I could get some heated stuff but with the bike being as small as it is and already with GPS/Light controller/ZUMO Controller cluttering up the control area....don't think I can put anything there anymore.
    Plus the missus will hate me since I already have a full winter set of gear (waterproof) but all she has are leathers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Seriously considering this. Just need to fill up the waf-account first.

Quote Originally Posted by waruta View Post
    Maybe we should all wear a Titanium/Aluminium foil jacket and strap an IH Heater to the seat and see how that goes :)
    I wish I could get some heated stuff but with the bike being as small as it is and already with GPS/Light controller/ZUMO Controller cluttering up the control area....don't think I can put anything there anymore.
    Plus the missus will hate me since I already have a full winter set of gear (waterproof) but all she has are leathers.
    Get her a jacket and gloves and see what she thinks =P The remotes are small and can velcro on in several easy to get to places.

5-min battery cable install this morning and my friend Yumeko was nice enough to let me take some pics.

Name:	00.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	8933

Name:	000.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	8934

Name:	002.jpg